Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo Mail

• Please log in to reply

lobner

lobner

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an elderly friend with an older computer, Windows 98. I'm trying to set Yahoo mail as the default. I know I need to load the Yahoo toolbar (before I can set it as the default in the control panel)but when I attempt this from his computer, I receive a message stating his system does not support the Yahoo toolbar (2000 XP or Vista is needed). Is there a way around this? Is there a way to load the toolbar onto his Windows 98 system?
Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yahoo Toolbar, as the message says, does not now work on Windows 98. Nor can you make it. You don't need it anyway.
Your best bet will be simply to set Yahoo Mail as your friend's homepage in Internet Explorer.

lobner

lobner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Neil for your respone.
I did set Yahoo as his home page. When he attmepts to access his e-mail from that page by clicking on the icon it comes up the page is unavailable. I wonder if it's not the toolbar problem, maybe it's something else? Unfortunately he is familiar with Yahoo mail and is reluctant to change. His daughter gave him the "newer" computer with Windows 98 and now he is having problems accessing. His other thought is to purchase a new computer. I'd hate to see him do that because he uses the computer for so few things.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Realistically a lot of internet technologies now use features that Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 8 only support.
The new version of Yahoo Mail is known to break on systems that aren't using at least Windows 2000. So your hand will be forced at some point as more and more sites break.
Do bear in in mind Yahoo Mail is a web based program that you can get to from any internet capable PC.