Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32k.sys 0X00000050 Blue Screen Error Code

• Please log in to reply

ess

ess

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have been having blue screens pop up fairly regularly over the past 6 months or so. I decided to completely restore the laptop to the out of box condition and did nothing to it, meaning, I didn't add a mouse, I didn't connect to the internet, I didn't add any software. The only thing I did was change the settings so that if I get an error message it will remain on the screen, so that it will not automatically reboot and therefore I can copy the error message. I opened the User's Guide from the desktop and started reading it. After an hour or so, I got the following blue screen:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Win32K.sys
0X00000050(0XFFFFFFE4,0X00000000,0X8E2DB8EC,0X00000000)
Win32K.sys - Address 8E2DB8EC base at 8E200000, Date Stamp 4549aea2

Collecting data for crash dump
initializing disk for crash dump
beginning dump of physical memory
dumping physical memory to disk: 100
physical memory dump complete
contact system support group for further assistance

I checked the problem reports after this happened and no solutions were available. This is the only problem report in the system, as it should be since the laptop is in this newly restored state. Can anyone translate the meaning of this message? Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi ess, Welcome to the GeeksToGo forums.

Considering that you reinstalled your OS, the problem is probably related to hardware.

Do you have a retail version of the Windows Vista installation DVD (It will say Windows Vista and often be a nice shiny orange color) or are you using a restore CD/DVD with your manufacturer's name on it (ie. Dell Restore Disks, HP Recovery CDs, etc.)?

The retail(full) version of the Windows Vista installation disks have analysis tools that we can use to pinpoint the cause. If you do not have this CD/DVD let me know so that we can find some other way to analyze your system.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The only disk I have is the Recovery and Applications/Drivers from Toshiba.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Do you have a blank CD you can use to create a diagnostics CD?

Download the Ultimate Boot CD ISO image from HERE

After doing so you will need to burn it to a Blank CD. To do so you can follow one of the various tutorials on the UBCD website HERE

When you have the CD ready you should boot into it and you will get a blue screen with various options. Using your arrows navigate to "Mainboard Tools" and then to "Memory Tests". Select "Memtest86+", a RAM diagnostics tool.

See here for a short description of the program : YouTube Video (Note: the video loads Memtest from a different kind of CD than the one I asked you to download)

Let it run for a couple of hours. If it finds any errors, it will list them in red. If after a couple of hours you don't have any red error lines, stop the test and come back to let me know.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thank you -
The download link for the Ultimate Boot CD ISO gives me this:

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

I'm doing this on a different computer - HP desktop Vista 64bit.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
That's odd. Try this instead: http://www.ultimateb...m/download.html

Click on any of download buttons to the right of "ISO" under the "Mirrors List".

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
oh joy, I created the disk - booted it up on my laptop - but the program is not running. I have a blank screen with a blinking dash in the upper left hand corner. Nothing happening on the hard drive or disk drive.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Were you able to select the CD from a boot menu or change the boot order to be sure it boots to the CD?

Did it boot the CD at all? If it did, there are other programs on the CD that you can use to test the memory. Try the other options you get when you select "Memory Tools" to see if you can get one of the other programs to work.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes, I held downn the quick key "C" while starting the laptop - which boots from the disk drive - I checked and the light was blinking on the disk drive but it only showed a blank screen. Perhaps I didn't burn the disk right. I'm using Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe. The program that I downloaded and burned to dvd was ubcd411.exe.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Oh, I think I know what happened. What you need to do is use a CD Burning program to burn a CD image (ISO file), instead of placing a file into a CD. The difference is that an image is more like a snapshot of an entire CD. A CD Image is a container that has a whole lot of files in it, and CD burning programs can interpret this. If you use a CD burning program, you typically need to use the menu items in one of these programs to "Open" the ubcd411.iso file. You downloaded one of the .exe versions, where what you needed was one of the .iso files. See HERE for instructions on burning ISO files to blank CDs using various free cd burning programs.

The ubcd411.exe file you downloaded has the ubcd411.iso inside of it. All you have to do is double click on ubcd411.exe and it should either ask you where you want to extract the file to, or it should extract it to the same folder ubcd411.exe is in.

Edited by NeonFx, 14 October 2009 - 06:37 PM.

Advertisements

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for your help today. I think I'll call it a night on this. I'll pick it up again tomorrow. I so appreciate you.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Goodnight then :) If you don't understand something let me know and I'll do my best to explain it better.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm back to struggling with this. Do I need to use one of those free ISO burning programs or will my Cyberlink DVD Suite support this type of disk burning? I hate to download programs I'm not sure about to my only working computer.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
That should work just fine. If you need instructions, you can get a copy of the user guides for that program HERE . Let me know if you still need help burning the CD.

Edited by NeonFx, 15 October 2009 - 12:18 PM.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
great - it's running now. I guess I should leave it for several hours? Is that right?