Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32k.sys 0X00000050 Blue Screen Error Code

• Please log in to reply

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Yeah. If you start seeing any errors you can stop the scan then and there as having any errors will signify that your RAM has gone bad. If your RAM is good, the scans should not return any errors, even after running the tests for a few hours.

If that's the case, we will test your harddrives for errors using the other tools on the disk.

Advertisements

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well, over 2 hours, 3 passes, no errors.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Alright. If there are still no errors by the time you read this, stop the scans, take the CD out of the CD drive, and boot into Windows.

Open a command prompt by going to Start > Run and typing in CMD. When you press Enter it should open a black and white window with a prompt.

At the prompt, type in : chkdsk C: /r

Note: this implies that the harddrive is letter C:. If it is not, change the command accordingly.

You will be asked if you wish to perform the scans the next time the computer is rebooted.

Type in : y

and press Enter.

Then reboot your computer, and as it is loading Windows it should start scanning the harddrive for errors. It will give you a chance to skip the checking by pressing a key, make sure you don't press anything on the keyboard.

Let me know if that finds any errors. It does not generate a report, so you will have to keep an eye on the scans to see what's going on.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
the prompt:

C:\Users\myname>

do I need to change that first? Or should I just type in the above after the >?

You probably can tell by now that I have limited abilities with the computer.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
You're doing great. There is no need to change that out first.

it would look like this:

C:\Users\myname>chkdsk C: /r

Note there are two spaces there. chkdsk space C: space /r

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
This after Enter:

Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

I am the only person who uses this computer

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Oh that's right, you're using Vista.

When you click on the Start button you should see a little text box on the bottom. Type in CMD and you should see cmd.exe appear on the top of the list.

Right click cmd.exe and select "Run As Administrator..."

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The type of the file system is NTFS
Cannot lock current drive

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked
the next time this system restarts Y/N?

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Yep, type: Y and press Enter.

That is what I meant by it asking if it can perform the scans when your computer reboots.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The scan completed. I watched the whole process - processing, completed and so on. Each segment completed apparently without any errors but, at the end, some kind of summary came up but went by too fast to read.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
That sounds about right. It would have been pretty obvious if there were errors.

That rules out your RAM and your Harddrive which were my two main suspicions. Before we use some of the more cryptic tools on the disk, let's give the computer some TLC.

Have you downloaded and installed all the latest drivers for the system? What is its make and model so that I can look these up for you if you haven't.

Also, have you installed any updates or service packs from Microsoft on this system?

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well, regarding the drivers, a month or so ago, I had done that, or I should say it was done by a local Toshiba authorized repair place, but the problem didn't go away. I always update the Microsoft updates and service packs. As I mentioned earlier, my computer is in an out of box state so to answer your question I have not updated anything yet. I haven't even been on the internet yet so my virus protection software is not on the computer either. I like having the computer in this pristine state as I believe it would be easier to find the problem. I appreciate you helping me to carefully add what's needed in a strategic order so that we might be able to figure out the problem here. The laptop is a
Toshiba Satellite
U205-S5057

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
We should try downloading and installing the newest drivers for your system next.

Did the Toshiba techs try to fix this problem and were unable to? Or did they say that they fixed it, but when you got home the problem was still there? I ask because they should fix the problem for you free of charge if that's the case.

I will need to go over this later to give you a list of drivers to install, because you don't need everything on THIS PAGE

Also, here is a specifications page for your laptop. This is more for reference than anything else.

I'll get back to you with a list of drivers to download and install when I get back home.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
They couldn't duplicate the blue screen. They let the computer run a video most of the day and couldn't replicate a blue screen. They updated the BIOS and the drivers and blue out dust bunnies but couldn't replicate the blue screen. They told me I had 30 days to come back under the original problem number. I had the problem again, brought it back, they couldn't replicate it. Then we went on vacation for a few weeks. When I came back I had the problem again but decided that since they couldn't replicate it I would just forget their help. They appeared to be very busy and from what I've read about these blue screens, it takes alot of detective work to figure out the problem. That's when I decided to just restore it to out of box condition and do my own sluthing. I guess I have you to help me now, which I never expected (and do appreciate). I'll get back to this tomorrow. Please don't give up you're evening. I have a computer to use so we don't need to rush on this problem. Thank you again for your time and trouble.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I was thinking about your problem and thought about something. When you gave your computer to the techs, did they happen to let you keep your battery? Sometimes repair shops will give users their batteries while they're working on the systems because they have their own chargers. If that's the case, have you tested to see if you get the blue screen with the battery removed? Also, do you get the blue screen if the laptop is running off the battery and not plugged in?

Here is a list of all the drivers you will need to download and install:

They're all .exe files, so you should just be able to double click on them and follow the instructions on screen. If you have any trouble, let me know.

BIOS
Chipset
Video
Audio
Wireless
Bluetooth
Touchpad
Fingerprint Reader

Edited by NeonFx, 15 October 2009 - 10:37 PM.