Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32k.sys 0X00000050 Blue Screen Error Code

• Please log in to reply

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
They didn't remove the battery while I was in the shop, meaning they didn't give it to me, but they might have removed it, I don't really know. They took my ac adapter, though. I do know that they didn't use the wifi but used a modem or something with a cord to connect to the internet. I haven't tried to run the computer without a battery, I didn't know that could be done and I usually keep the computer on ac power except if I decide to run the battery down to recharge as suggested by the manufacturer. So I'm sure I get the blue screens while on power but I don't know if they happen when on battery only. Thanks for the links above. I'll go ahead and connect to the internet now. Do you think I should start my virus protecton program first?

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Yes, by all means install your security program on this system if you like.

If you really want to do everything in steps though, you can download the files off a different computer and transfer them all over. You should install them in the order I've listed them above.

Edited by NeonFx, 16 October 2009 - 01:46 PM.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I connected to the internet via wifi (home network), downloaded my antivirus software suite from CA (free through Roadrunner). After installing I selected restart computer now. The computer hung up. I finally had to turn it off. After getting the computer back up, which entailed launching the repair selection and finally selectiing the restore to an earlier successful startup. I received blue screen:

0X0000008E (0XC00000005, 0X8233F667, 0X872E0748, 0X00000000)

fltmgr.sys - address 8233F667 base at 8233D000, datestamp 4549acc2

I guess I'll restore to an earlier time or uninstall the software and reinstall it. I haven't yet updated the drivers.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
The culprit could very well be the security program's drivers.

You want to be careful and not use Windows' "Restore" too often, it will often solve problems by changing a few things, but it does not fully restore your system to an earlier state. If you do this often enough, things will get complicated and trying to figure out what happened will get even more difficult to do.

Have you ever had a play with Windows' Event Viewer? Press the Start button; in the text box type in eventvwr or Event Viewer and press Enter. This applet will have a list of everything that has thrown error messages on your computer and you can trace the source of most problems by looking at the details of different error messages. Have a play with it.

Edited by NeonFx, 16 October 2009 - 03:18 PM.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yes, I now have 2 events in there. I won't restore. It looks like the software didn't install anyway. I'll try it again.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I give up..........grrrrrrrrrr. I'm out on the internet and the computer froze. I can't use cntl alt del. I hate shutting the thing down because then I have to go through the whole launch repair thing again, as it never starts normally but I have no choice. I checked my problem solution messages from Microsoft. The solution says update Kaspersky AntiVirus. I don't have that program on my computer as far as I can tell. I'm beginning to believe this computer is unusable.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I came across something similar online earlier related to your error message. It has to do with the fact that newer applications have known conflicts with unpatched versions of Windows. You should try updating your computer entirely before installing anything on it.

Update the drivers first, the ones I listed earlier. Then proceed to update everything else on there using Windows Update, including the Service Packs. Then install any security programs on your system.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok - you've just encouraged me to continue on. Thanks :)

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It looks like I'm going to have to completely restore the computer again to out of box state. The blue screen keeps popping up after a minute or so and it has a different message - something about DRIVER_IRQL... I didn't write it down this time. Can I load these driver updates in safe mode? I got the blue screen in safe mode as well but if I can, after I restore again maybe I should try that.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Starting from scratch sounds like a much better idea than doing it all in Safe Mode. Make sure and install the drivers as the first thing you do to the system. Don't install any programs until after you've updated windows with all the updates and service packs.

Advertisements

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok - I'm ready to update the drivers and BIOS - I'm doing from a dvd created on my other computer. The BIOS update gives me 5 options. 1 if not for Vista, 2 others are from bootable disks which this is not, the other two are:

at startup by holding down the key immediately to the left of the space bar

run chgbiosa.exe at the command prompt.

I would like to use the chbiosa.exe at run but i want to be sure if that is the right way to do this. I hear that updating BIOS is very dangerous

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Your best option is to actually use the "Install from Windows option." Vista is an NT based operating system and is supported. The only danger lies in if the power is cut to the machine. Because you also have a battery, along with the connection to the wall, there is no need to worry. As long as you can keep the computer powered during the operation you will be fine.

To install it you need to double click on C:\su200v36\launcher.exe and select "Install from Windows"

Edited by NeonFx, 16 October 2009 - 06:44 PM.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
If you are worried about the computer blue screening while you are doing that then you should still consider the boot floppy option. That is the safest option for obvious reasons.

Edited by NeonFx, 16 October 2009 - 09:48 PM.

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm right back where I started from with my first post on this. I started the newly restored computer, transferred the driver and bios files, started reading the BIOS instructions and poof, the computer shuts down. I had the internet switch off so nothing from the outside might cause a shutdown. Before I start updating bios and drivers could this problem be my ac adapter or some hardware inside the computer? I seems very strange that it would do this on a brand new restore?

ess

ess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Toshiba BIOS installer error message - this program didn't install correctly, reinstall using Windows settings??? Blue Screen - ugh :)