Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU switchs off randomly

• Please log in to reply

sanjkd

sanjkd

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
In the last month my system randomly loses power and I have to wait 10mins or so before it will bootup again.

The system is only 8 months old, it is not overclocked any diagnosis?

Attached Files

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello sanjkd.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

It sounds like a PSU problem or maybe a MOBO problem.
Is the system still under warranty?

sanjkd

sanjkd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
yes it is.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then what What I would suggest you do is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
HERE
HERE

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.

Once that is done then have the company repair it.
Most companies will not backup data and if they do they charge a crazy amount to do it.
Since it is under warranty we cannot suggest some of the steps we normally would because they may void your warranty.
It is better that since you have the warranty to have them fix it especially if it is what it seems to be. If it is then there could be more serious damage happen if you wait.

sanjkd

sanjkd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Actually seems my system is not under warranty b/c it was purchased in June 2008 by Intel,
I won this system as a prize btw.

I called tech support "Velocity Micro" they said there are a number of possible causes such as power going to the system.

I will try using a different surge bar and plugging power in another socket.

sanjkd

sanjkd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
P.S I have backed up my data to dvd's

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try a different socket and if it works try a different surge protector.
Also if you have a different power cord.
If all this fails then we can look at the hardware itself.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is this a laptop or a desktop?

Actually seems my system is not under warranty b/c it was purchased in June 2008 by Intel,
I won this system as a prize btw.

. If you only took possession 8 months ago, I think I would argue the warranty issue. Its not your fault that Intel had it and it took a while for the prise to be awarded.

I am hedging on a bad psu or board. Something possible heating up and shutting down because you stated you need to wait about 10 mins before you can re-start.

sanjkd

sanjkd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Its a desktop

sanjkd

sanjkd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I recieved it in Jan 2009. I have emailed Intel who shipped the system on what I should do for techical support under warranty.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree with Runner because being only 8 months old there should be some kind of active warranty.
GTG Terms Of Use will not allow us to do anything that may void that warranty.
I would continue with Intel and make sure about this warranty issue.
We all believe it is a PSU or MOBO issue but both would depend on opening the system which would void any warranty.

sanjkd

sanjkd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
ok so i plugged the power into the socket instead of the powerbar the system was running fine until 5 mins ago the power went off. I was able to retart right away without waiting. So that rules out the powerbar being a cause. Now i have plugged in the power to a different socket on the other side of the room, lets how what happens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it is sounding more like one of the following
PSU
CPU overheating
MOBO

Let me know what happens with your current test.
BTW good detective work

sanjkd

sanjkd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Here is the output for HWMonitor. I have the side case door off so not sure if overheating is the cause.

Any tests you recommend?

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image