Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu does not boot up and no display on monitor

• Please log in to reply

tuna699

tuna699

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i got a cpu in the mail. Hooked it up. tried to start it it ran for 2-3 sec and shut down, a couple times it did this. i took off side plate and found cpu fan unplugged and not in place just loose inside the case. i reattached it plugged it in and tried to turn it on again now it powers up but no display and nothing but the fans run no display.
the builder told me the cpu would not be fried because it is programed to shut down if the fan does not come on.

what could my problem be any ideas?
me and the builder are playing e-mail tag. ask a question today get an answer tommorrow,

Advertisements

blake2k

blake2k

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Im having the same problem..

Fans run CD drive runs network card lights up in the back and the lights blink on and off .

But the monitor gets no signal.

So if theres any expert out there that could help youed be killing two birds with 1 stone.

Edited by blake2k, 15 May 2005 - 11:13 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you run an AMD cpu with no hsf, even if it's just for a couple of seconds, the cpu will be fried.
Whether the motherboard has survived given the burning smell you think you detected, is questionable. It's quite possible the board has been taken out with it.

I would remove the cpu from the board then see if you can smell any faint traces of that smell on the actual board. Also, inspect the board (both sides) for any discolouration, charring, breaks etc to the components & the tracks. If you detect anything like this, the board will be fried.

Even if the board appears ok, I would be wary of placing a brand new cpu in it. If the mobo is damaged, hopefully that means it just won't turn on, but theres a small chance that, if damaged, it could also damaged the processor thats in it.

Blake2k :
If you have also run your system with no heatsink, then this applies to you too. If you haven't but are getting the same symptoms, then chances are your problem is different. I suggest you start a new topic for your problem.
Samm

StephenLee

StephenLee

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, pls try these three methods showed in this article.I think it would help you fix your issue.

http://ezinearticles...t...&id=3087747