Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incredimail

• Please log in to reply

Zikas John

Zikas John

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear All,

my name is Zikas John and i am facing an issue.
Yesterday my hard disk failed.
Actually it was the Vista that failed. I bought, any way a new hard disk and i have installed the Vista again and the Incredimail application again.

My problem is: how will be able to "see" my e-mails again, that are stored in the old hard disk?
It is very cruisal for me, because all my work is done throught IncrediMail.
I am not so familiar with IT Technology, so i had not performed a backup, that maybe would be useful at this time "of my life".

Is it possible somebody to help me?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I am not sure this will work, but since it was the operating system that failed on the old hard drive, set it to a slave and install it and see if it will be recognized. If it comes up with a drive letter, then you can use Windows Explorer to open all the directories and browse to the IncrediMail folder where the mail files are kept. Then you can either copy all files into the new folder on the "C\" drive for IncrediMail or copy them to a USB Flash drive.

Zikas John

Zikas John

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Major Payne,

thanks a lot for your quick response.

Because as i told you i am not so familiar with computer technology, my next question is:
how can i import the old e-mails in Incredimail?
Is there any standard procedure to import the old e-mails?
If i will import the old e-mails, does the new ones that i have now in my new disk will disappeared?

Thanks in advance

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Let me know when you have exported them or been able to find them on the old drive first. IncrediMail allows you to import/export all emails and setting. Look for the Data and Settings Transfer Wizard that is under the File Menu. Be sure to backup your current IncrediMail information. Under same menu is the Import utility for Messages and Contacts.

Zikas John

Zikas John

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Major Payne,

actually (as a typical user) i haven't backup my e-mails before, or i haven't exported my e-mails as well.
I don't know if this is good or not.
I will buy a hard case for hard disk 3,5 inch, i will plug the old disk on that case and i hope that connecting the old disk in a USB port, Vista will be able to see the disk.
If yes, so probably i have done a "step" forward? Am i right.
I will do that porobably tomorrow.

So far i have backup my current e-mails on my new hard disk.

So, as far as i have understood, i have to backup my current e-mails.
Then how will i "bring" my old e-mails from the old hard disk which are not backed up??? (with the option that i am able to "see" the disk!!!

Dear Major Payne thank you once again.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The reason for backing up your new emails, etc, is in case something happens while attempting to recover the old ones.

A google search found THIS. See if it helps.
Of course the drive needs to be seen as a slave.
You could also try an "import" from the location described in the link.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Dear Major Payne,

actually (as a typical user) i haven't backup my e-mails before, or i haven't exported my e-mails as well.
I don't know if this is good or not.
I will buy a hard case for hard disk 3,5 inch, i will plug the old disk on that case and i hope that connecting the old disk in a USB port, Vista will be able to see the disk.
If yes, so probably i have done a "step" forward? Am i right.
I will do that porobably tomorrow.

So far i have backup my current e-mails on my new hard disk.

So, as far as i have understood, i have to backup my current e-mails.
Then how will i "bring" my old e-mails from the old hard disk which are not backed up??? (with the option that i am able to "see" the disk!!!

Dear Major Payne thank you once again.

If Vista recognizes the old drive from the USB, you are on your way to recovering your emails. You can just use the Import function in IncrediMail and see if it allows you to browse to the folder in old drive. There are optional ways to get them back as long as the files have not become corrupted and the drive works ok.

If IncrediMail will open from the old drive in the USB port, then you can use its Export function or the other function to save all emails, contacts and settings. Those all are available from the IncrediMail program itself.

All you need is to get the file exported from old drive to your Desktop and the new IncrediMail installed should be able to take it from there. IncrediMail has full instructions on their site on how to move old files to new computer. Let me know if you need link.