Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build - Power Supply or Mobo issue?

• Please log in to reply

Naxos17

Naxos17

• Pip
  • 3 posts
New build going together just trying to get some ideas to help with my troubleshooting.

Key Components are:

ASUS M4N72-E motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz
4GB (4 x 1GB) 4-4-4-12 DDR2 800 RAM
eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb PCI-E video card

My symptons are that upon initial power up, fans came up, no video, no post.
I tried some different configurations. One stick of RAM, ect, still nothing.
I then tried to clear the CMOS. After that the computer would not "hang" prior to post but actually cycle on then off continuously, until I pull the plug.

I tried another wire setup with only the 20 pin power cable, from the supply, plugged into the 24 pin board input, and the 4 pin 12V cable removed. The computer would then power up but fail to post as expected and no power cycling was present. Once I plugged in the 4 pin 12V cable the power cycling (and still no post) returned.

I think I am underpowered from my power supply which is a 500W modular cable continuous supply model. There for I plan to grab a 750 - 850W model on the way home and try that.

Any other thoughts to consider?

I have reviewed the boards and will give some other things, like starting up the board outside the case, once I get home tonight a shot. Thanks.

Advertisements

Naxos17

Naxos17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I got a new power supply and pulled the mother board out of the case. Set it up on some cardboard and got basically nothing.

I got the same power on/off cycle again but very very weak compared to yesterday.

I just pulled the battery and am clearing the CMOS again but I do not have much hope.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds like the motherboard to me. Oh the joys. :)

Sounds like you've been doing some good troubleshooting, though. Let us know how it goes.

Naxos17

Naxos17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Sounds like the motherboard to me. Oh the joys. :)

Sounds like you've been doing some good troubleshooting, though. Let us know how it goes.

Well it was definetly the motherboard. New one arrived yesterday as well as windows 7 family pack.

Through the new build together, had some issues getting the video card to seat. It kept hanging up on the case. Fired it up, installed windows 7, and it is working like champ. I will have some more fun, after work, reinstalling all the fun stuff.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Good work. :)