Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting to the home network

• Please log in to reply

kittykitten

kittykitten

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
please someone help me! I've jsut moved house and am trying to connect to the shared network in my new houseshare. never had any trouble connecting my laptop to a wireless network before.. anyway managed to get it to connect to the house network, bototm right of my screen says connected to (name of network) local and internet, and there is a little picture of a world. But then when I try to actually view a website, it says internet explorer cannot display the webpage. I've done all I know how to (ie switch the router off then on again).. but it won't work.

I'm using vista, IE7 and a shared network, not sure what that means but my housemates inform me 'it jsut means we can access each other's itunes libraries.

PLease, any suggestions!

J

Advertisements

BlueEyedSamurai

BlueEyedSamurai

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Kitty - did you try turning off Network Discovery (under Network and Sharing Center)? This will disallow others from seeing your pc while in your workgroup.

DXQ

DXQ

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Open a Windows Command Prompt.

Type in "ipconfig /all"
This should show you info on your Ethernet local connection.
There should be an IP address, subnetmask, default gateway, and DNS servers address.

Try to "ping www.yahoo.com"