Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart deletes logins and passwords

• Please log in to reply

kennedyj

kennedyj

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Every time I restart my computer, my browser (latest version of Firefox) deletes all my usernames and passwords on sites that I visit (ie, I have to log back in every time). It also erases all the previous URLs in the drop down search box up top. I have 'remember me' or the equivalent checked on all these sites. I don't remember this happening in the past. Is there a simple browser setting that I'm missing or something?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
launch FF click on tools ...options...security tab...put tick in the remember passwords ...click ok...
a much better way is to use roboform or lastpass...both are password managers but if you choose this way ...DO NOT HAVE THEM SAVE BANKING STUFF..anything beyond 15 passwords in roboform will then require the paid version...lastpass does not have any restrictions at all...

kennedyj

kennedyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

launch FF click on tools ...options...security tab...put tick in the remember passwords ...click ok...
a much better way is to use roboform or lastpass...both are password managers but if you choose this way ...DO NOT HAVE THEM SAVE BANKING STUFF..anything beyond 15 passwords in roboform will then require the paid version...lastpass does not have any restrictions at all...

Yeah I have remember passwords in options ticked but it doesn't help. Does this maybe happen to everyone when they restart? For some reason I'm thinking no.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there is no need to quote what I posted...it only slows things down...
if you have firefox set to clear all data on shutdown ...you would lose your saved passwords ...
go here to see if yours is set that way

kennedyj

kennedyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
No, the clear history when FF closes button is unchecked. Also, I was mistaken on one thing - the URLs in the search bar do remain, it's just the logins and passwords that get deleted each time.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try reinstalling firefox and if that does not work try lastpass or roboform...