Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a bizarre motherboard story/problem

• Please log in to reply

Ravian

Ravian

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello people.

I Have a problem with my motherboard (I think).

my motherboard is a K8N Neo (MS-7030) v1.X ATX - nVidia nForce 3 250 Gb
with an AMD athlon 64 3200+ CPU

I have done something I should not have done. first I updated my nforce 3 system files, but didn't restart my system. first I also installed my USB 2 drivers, then I restarted my computer.
My computer failed to start, he got stuck at the logo screen of MSI. I quickly restarted and firstly asked to disable the logo screen in the biossetup and tried to boot from my win XP cd. that failed since the third time I tried to start my computer he wasn't able to start. he did start, but after 15 seconds or so, he stopped again, and my screen didn't do anything either.

thinking that the only solution was not to reset my bios, I replaced the JBAT1 jumper and tried again after 10 minutes. my computer did jump on, and I tried to reinstall windows, everything was going great when suddenly, he stopped installing. for half an hour the installation would take 24 minutes( installation was stuck).

I restarted and found out that my computer failed to recognize my Hard Disk. I tried replacing my ATA cable a few times; or pushing the cable better into the HD, and there were times he did recognize the HD, but as soon as I was trying to reinstall windows he gave up on me again.

I then disconnected all the Hardware safe for everything that was necesarry ( I did reset the bios because at a certain time he again didn't want to start again).
I restarted my machine, and the HD was recognized. I connected my other Hardware and those also were recognized eventually.

problem now is that my computer gets stuck no matter what I do. if I don't boot, he tries to finish the windows setup that he never finished however that one gets stuck rather quickly. if I try to boot from the Cd, he never succeed in starting the windows setup. (he stays stuck at a perfect bleu screen saying setup is starting windows setup, or something alike)

what do I have to do now... ?

he also does NOT want to boot from a bootable Linx Cd I have.

Thank you in advance and my apologies for my poor English. Living and learning in Belgium

Advertisements

Ravian

Ravian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
to add to the problem... now my comp jumps on for 'bout 10 seconds, after which its stops, never letting my screen jump on

... how tiresome

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

your english is fine, I am assuming you can boot into bios, so try running memtest86 you don't need a OS (operating system) installed just follow the instructions and create a bootable floppy.

Let memtest run for at least 3 passes and report back if there are errors.

If you have more than 1 stick of ram installed test each stick individually

Rick

Ravian

Ravian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hia, Thanks Doby..

I did what you asked, but the computer still doesn't seem to react.

but ehm.. I'm afraid I made my problem worse. now? my comp DOES run, problem is that the only hint at anything working is the spinning Fan. there is no display? No HD activity? no nothing that indicates that it is doing something... A plant comp you might say :tazz:

Anyway I'm afraid I killed the Bios completely and will have to buy myself a new chip. (I hope that is the problem, since my HD also has failed me at certain moments.

actually I am stupid. I never used the recovery diskette MSI had let me make. I always wanted to instantly reinstall Windows.

I also think that it ain't the memory, or my AGP card, or my powersuply; or my fan, or my CPU (as MSI suggests). all those things worked perfectly till I made that one stupid move.

Still I am very grateful for the help Doby

Ravian

Ravian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hmmm.. little question... might this work.. ?

For Award BIOS

Make a bootable floopy disk
Copy the Award flash utility & BIOS file to the said floppy disk
Create an autoexec.bat with "Award_Flash_Utility BiosFilename" in the content (e.g. awdfl823K w6378vms.130)
Sample on how to create an autoexec:
a. On Windows, open the notepad
b. On the notepad, write "awdfl823K w6378vms.130" (without the " ")
c. Save the file as autoexec.bat

Boot up system with the said floppy (it will take less than 2 minutes before screen comes out)

Re-flash the BIOS & reboot.

don't think so, since my diskette drive ain't reacting... but eh.. you never know what such a comp does when the screen is out

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

I have done something I should not have done. first I updated my nforce 3 system files, but didn't restart my system

Do you mean you flashed the bios?
and if yes after the flash is when the problem started