Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound in VIsta Ult 64

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So it's only the front panel that doesn't work now? Good work, it must have been the XP Spirit Summons that did the trick. :)

On your motherboard, you should be able to find a bunch of pins grouped together called F_AUDIO or something like it, is there a cable plugged into it coming from the front of the case?

Advertisements

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
It's your good advice, mate : )
And my oh-I-shoulda-thought-of-that face, again....

I'll have a look in the box, though it's unlikely that this is the case - only I ever open it and I'm very careful when I do, and the sound used to work, but then it suddenly stopped working (not right after I fiddled inside, mind). And the USB sockets in the front panel work just fine.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The front USB ports have their own separate connection on the motherboard. For my case, the front audio ports have never worked - I can only guess it's a fault of the case. As I don't use it anyway, I've never bothered doing anything about it.

It's possible that it's either not connected properly, or the ports have died somewhere - either the case or the motherboard.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I'll have a look next time I open the box.
In the meantime - thanks for all your help!
Now I have no more excuses not to leave XP behind and move into Vista & 7.

SOADA

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, XP should have died long ago. I hate it!