Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

build a hard drive enclosure

• Please log in to reply

KHB1

KHB1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am a 72 year old do it your selfer
I want to turn an Old Hard Drive into an External Hard Drive
I have the electronic knowledge 50 years experience including the bench work with transistors, IC's etc. and materials for hard wiring but I am short on computer smarts and I'm on a limited budget. Can someone tell me how to or point me in the direction to accomplish it.
A ide hard drive has 16 data pins
A usb connector has 2 data pins and 2 power pins
I know the pin out on both connectors and I can supply the external power needed.
Yes I did a search and there is 5 pages of how to and they all say spend buy a $25 enclosure, if i wanted to buy a enclosure i would spend 5 minutes in radio shack or best buys I am sure there are hundreds of forum members with the knowledge to build one even if they don't have the desire.
Help please !!!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Hi KHB1. It is always a pleasure to find someone who's been a technician longer me - I've only been one for 38 years so obviously, I still have much to learn.

Is this for a temporary solution and that's why you don't want an enclosure. If so, perhaps a simple adapter cable will meet your needs.

SATA/IDE to USB Adapter

KHB1

KHB1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Digerati:
Thank you for the Quick reply.
I am sorry I don't have a simple answer for that, first I loved electronics and mechanics and was fortunate enough to fall into a job that payed me to do something I loved. I learned at least one thing new every day I worked. Retirement is basically boring and mostly I am interested in learning things that interests me.
I have taken old hard drives and installed them in a computer as a slave and copied information from that drive.
If i went to Best buys and bought a hard drive enclosure I would learn as much as looking up a phone number in a phone book.
I have many questions about interfacing a usb port to a 16 com pin ide drive do I need a interface IC, do i need to terminate the unused ports with a load?
What different jobs are done by the com pins?
Thank you KHB1

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
In order to do what you want, you would need to create a board to act as a controller between the USB connection and the IDE interface. It is not a simple wiring task, but there is logic and control functions which need to be done.

Honestly, it will cost you less to buy the enclosure than to build it yourself. You might see if someone is willing to give one away on freecycle and/or freesharing.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Okay, so you don't want to use that USB adapter cable, but want to breadbox your own? I can appreciate that. Considering cheap 3.5" drive enclosures start at less than $15, Kemasa may be right, but as you note, nothing is learned.

It looks like Addonics has the chip, but getting them to sell you one, with a schematic, might be difficult.

I keep running into dead ends with Google. Might have to buy one of those adapters after all and reverse engineer it!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yeah...i doubt many companies are going to release the info on programming the controller board...i honestly can't be that difficult if you've got the baseline knowledge...but without the specifics it would get a little tricky

Here is an NEC USB - IDE bridge controller chip

Here is their data sheet that has a pin-out unfortunately you have to have some kind of account to get the actual user documentation that would probably have more info

most of the other results for usb to ide bridge come up with adapters though

found this forum which is apparently a USB developer's forum

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
The problem with Addonics is that their lowest price is more expensive than a cheap enclosure. Also, since it looks to be mainly just an interface IC, you are not going to learn much other than which wires are connected to to which pins. There are a few other parts, such as a crystal and a couple of other parts.

Here is a chip:

http://www.necel.com.../upd720133.html

There are also documents which you can look at to determine how to build it.