Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer boots to a blue screen but no error message

• Please log in to reply

msr1015

msr1015

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Guys,

When I turn my computer on it shows me the Windows XP is loading but then instead of populating my desktop with icons it goes to a blue screen, but there is no error message. It is just a solid blue screen. I also tried rebooting and loading in safe mode, by pressing F8 while it is booting up. It won't boot in safe mode either. It lists the series of files it is loading but then gets stuck and won't complete the boot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello msr1015.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

It lists the series of files it is loading but then gets stuck and won't complete the boot.

Can you tell me what driver it stops on when it freezes?

msr1015

msr1015

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It stops loading with the following on the screen...
Microsoft windows xp build 2600.xpsp_sp3_GDR.090804-1435:service pack
thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to boot to Last Known Good Configuration in the boot menu?
Is the above message on the top of the screen?
Normally that message doesn't appear until it loads windows and in every corner you should see Safe Mode

msr1015

msr1015

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have not tried last good configuration. Yes that message is across the top and safe mode is in every corner.

msr1015

msr1015

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When I press f10 to go into boot mode the option of last good configuration doesn't exist. My only options are to select a boot device and it lists 7 different options, hdd, cd/DVD, USB and nvidia. Where would I access last good configuration? Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe that is the wrong menu.
You would need to click F8 to get to the advanced boot menu. This is where you would find
Safe Mode
Last Known good configuration

msr1015

msr1015

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just tried last known good configuration and from there it asks me which operating system and then goes to the windows xp loading screen and then goes to the solid blue screen again. No luck trying that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok there are two operating systems?
Have you tried the other one?
Can you tell me what the operating systems listed are?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
For clarification....
F8 will get you the boot up options for last known good config, safe mode, start normally.
In post 5 you stated that you hade the words "safe mode" in every corner. That is safe mode. The graphics will be default drivers.

Let us know what choices of OS you have.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
123Runner is correct.
Once you are in safe mode then generic drivers for the video will be loaded which causes everything to be larger then normal.
What I am concerned about is this comment and what options there are.

I just tried last known good configuration and from there it asks me which operating system

msr1015

msr1015

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When I choose last good configuration it asks me to select the oparating system, there is only one choice...Microsoft windows xp home edition. Did this answer your question? It's when I go into the boot menu by pressing f10 there are multiple boot devices. I don't think I have more than one operating system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok not sure if this will work but let's try a system restore then.

If you have Windows XP CD...

1. Boot from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R:

Posted Image

3. You'll find yourself at this screen:

Posted Image

4. Once you are at the Recovery Console you will be given at least one choice of Windows installations. Normally the choice you want is the number 1 choice. Click the number 1 key at the "top" of the keyboard and click enter.

NOTE: at this point your numbers to the right of your keyboard are turned off. If you insist on using these keys for your numbers remember to hit the Numbers Lock key before clicking a number over there or your computer will automatically reboot and you will have to wait through the previous steps to get back to the console.

5. You will be given a message asking for the administrator password. Unless someone or something has messed with your computer there is no password so you just click the Enter key.

6. This will bring you to a prompt that says:

C:\WINDOWS>

7. Type:

cd \

Press Enter

Note: between "cd" and "\" there should be a "blank space" otherwise the command won't work

8. The prompt should now say:

C:\>

9. Type:

cd system~1\_resto~1

Press Enter.

Note: If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

Type: cd \

Press Enter

Type: cd windows\system32\config

Press Enter

Type: ren system system.bak

Press Enter

(note the spaces between ren and system, and then between system and system.bak)

Type: exit

Press Enter

now the computer should restart, then follow steps 1-6

10. Type:

dir

Press Enter

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2" we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. If the restore points have more than one page then you have keep on hitting the key to view the last restore point folder.

NOTE: It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second to the last one.

11. Type:

cd rp{with the second to the last restore point number }

Press Enter

Example: cd rp9. if rp10 is the last restore point

12. Type:

cd snapshot

Press Enter.

NOTICE: Now the command prompt will look like this:

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content.

13. Type:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Press Enter

14. Type:

Exit

Press Enter.

Final note : If the above procedure won't solve the problem, repeat all steps, but in step 13 type:

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Alternatively, select different restore point.

If you don't have Windows CD...

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Follow steps 3 - 14.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

zhsrt

zhsrt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too have the same problem with my new windows 7.
I turn on and a light blue screen shows as if it goes directly to aol screen but stays blue.