Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive Doesn't See It & Product Key Problems

• Please log in to reply

krm0789

krm0789

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently broke my laptop, & purchased a netbook while I'm waiting for the laptop to be repaired. I purchased Office 2007 2 years ago & put it on my laptop without any issues. Now I'm trying to install it on the netbook, but it's not working. My external CD drive acts like there's no CD in there (& this is the only CD that does this, it's read at least 10 others without any problems).

The netbook came with a trial version that prompts me to switch to a licensed version by entering my product key, but then tells me it's not valid. I've contacted E-academy, which is where I purchased the software, but they only offer e-mail support & have yet to be of any assistance. Any ideas?

Advertisements

geekhelp4u

geekhelp4u

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
To start with are you sure that the external drive is a CD drive and that the Office disk is a CD and not a DVD? If it is a DVD trying to play on a CD drive - it will never read the disk.

Secondly, what version of office do you have on disk compared to the trail version? Are they the same version? I am asking because the trial versions are usually Office 2007 Home & Student - where as the version you probably purchased from e-academy is probably Enterprise, Professional, or Standard - which would use a completely different key.

Please list the version you purchased for further help.