Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to format and install clean XP

• Please log in to reply

dmcbass

dmcbass

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I have a Dell XPS M1530 that a friend wants me to format and install XP. It was her Mom's laptop and has now given up running. When I try to use the XP setup disc, it runs through it file copying then give me the error that No Hard Drives are found, press F3 to quit. I have tried it 10 times hoping for different results, I think that is called insanity.
What do you suggest?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Two options, one easy one hard:

Hard solution: Find a floppy disk, a floppy drive and ensure they work. Download an F6 RAID driver from Dell's website, and when prompted on XP installation, press F6. Load the driver(s) you need from the disk.

Easy solution: Go into the BIOS of the computer, look for a SATA type option. Change it to IDE or Legacy. Save changes. XP Setup will now see the drive.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Well, I tried to change HDD type but only choices were ATA and AHCI. I removed all the admin, system and hdd passwords trying to log in as Administrator but never get the choice of Admin, only the user. Tried using new admin password I created with user but would not allow it. This machine does not have a floppy drive, can I use the cd drive to load the driver during OS install?
I thought this would be simple as all other format and installs I have done but darn.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Change from AHCI to ATA.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
OK, I changed the HDD to ATA and the install started, formatted the partition, copies all the files, restarts the laptop and then begins the process all over again like it did not take the previous time. What now? Thanks

One more item, I have the Dell Vista Reinstallation DVD and have been trying to install from this but when prompted that no drive exists, I use the Drivers and Utilities disk to install the SATA AHCI drive and it still will not see the HDD.

Well, thanks again in advance.

Edited by dmcbass, 19 October 2009 - 05:11 AM.