Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to reformat hard drive and reactivate unseen CD/DVD

• Please log in to reply

richardtstoops

richardtstoops

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:) I have a Toshiba Satellite P105 WINDOWS XP MEDIA EDITION laptop that got hit with a backdoor trojan and windows police security virus as well. Have spent days doing all the maleware steps as the nasty destroyed more and more registry and apps. All the trojan progs were just closed and diverted and could not isolate. Currently the cd/dvd has been wiped from the device manager and boot sequence (from F12)when set to it does nothing. Can't get into safe mode. Security registry and permissions invaded and changed. I've tried everything and now have freeze with a "pump.exe" app error. I just want to pull this drive and have it reformated. I know how to can yank it out...can I use a USB frame to reformat it from another laptop (any?)...Then put her back in and use the recovery disks? How do I get the bios to run the disk (on F12) if it is not seen now by this corrupt windows? Should I send the disk to Toshiba and have windows installed first? Thanking you so much for your thoughts. :)

Edited by richardtstoops, 16 October 2009 - 02:33 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Lets see if I can offer some guidance.
You can remove the drive and put it in a USB enclosure. The enclosure needs to be able to hold a laptop drive.

I know you said that the CD drive is not recognized in device manager, but have you tried to boot from a CD? If it will boot, I would recommend using DBAN (Dariks Boot and Nuke) from my signature. This will write 1's and 0's to the drive and also clear the MBR.

You could also do this when the drive is in the enclosure, but you need to be real careful that you pick the correct drive to wipe.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have done all the steps but are you sure it is gone?
I don't see a topic opened in the malware forum for assistance. The techs there may find it goes deeper then you have found.
I can understand if formatting would be faster for you though.

richardtstoops

richardtstoops

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi RShaffer61,

Yes it goes deep and nastiest thing ever seen. I will pull the drive put it in the enclosure, format and wipe withDBAN and fixmbr. As said before, the boot change sequence in set-up has no effect in getting the cd/dvd whirling for the recovery disk and reinstall. Once I pull the drive and start the laptop will it see no drive and then run a disk boot? or is the cd drive dead until I reinstall a driver?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The cdrom drive drive should work if your installation disk is bootable and a original.
If you are using a burned copy of a disk they will cause more problems then they are worth.

richardtstoops

richardtstoops

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much Rshaffer61 and others....looks like this is the way to go....I'll let you know end result.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and please let us know as we always like to know good or bad how things work out.