Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Problems !

• Please log in to reply

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
My name is Debra and this is not my PC, I'm just troubleshooting it for a friend, who I just registered on this website today, his Username is Christopher, who without a doubt will be using the site himself if I can ever get this system running properly. Compaq Presario and running XP.

I had to do a Full System Recovery so I could get on the Desktop.

Here are the problems I'm encountering:

After I boot up the system the 1st screen is the COMPAQ logo,
the next screen is a all BLACK screen with WHITE writing.
The system should keep going until it loads the desktop, but it stops dead until I do what I'm getting ready to explain.

Down at the bottom of the screen this is what it says:

Hard disk failure is imminent. Please back up your hard disk and replace it.
Press F1 for set up, F2 to continue.
In order to get to the next screen, I press F2 to continue, than after that, the Microsoft logo appears then, an all BLUE screen appears which says:

Checking file system on D:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
One of your disk needs to be checked for consistency.
Then it gives you 10 seconds to make a decision, either to let the system do it's thing or you can hit any key to stop this process .....
If I let the process go, here's what it does:

File record segment 0000 is unreadable.
Every number has a separate line. It takes 15-20 mins. for this process to finish.

Let me explain something here. Before I did the Full System Restore, after the process ended, the all blue screen went dead too, but now it takes me to the desktop. .... So there you have it.

The next set of problems are after I get up on the desktop. While it's loading there are two boxes that pop up.

ASSERT Failed:
Projects\wxKernel\SRC\Win32\con\CORE\cm CodeModule. cpp: 90m_Code Handle ! = NULL

2nd box:

ddcmigrate.exe - Application Error
the application failed to initialize properly (0x80000003).

What I noticed about these two boxes are when there is some kind of movement, meaning, downloading, installing, uninstalling or something that is taking place on the system and when the desktop is loading up.

Next problem: How do I fix IE? There are no tabs at the top of IE,
File, Edit, View etc. I can't do any of the things that I need to do because the tabs have disappeared.

Thanks for the help that anyone can offer.

Debra :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Chrispother\Debra.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Lets see what we can do.
ddcmigrate.exe - Application Error
This is part of Wild Tangent software that is loaded on HP and Compaq systems.
Check msconfig for startup lines containing the above file or anything with Wild Tangent uncheck them and this error should stop then.

Next is the ASSERT Failed: error
See above for instructions on this.

Next is IE...
Right click on the blank toolbar or click on View
have it show icons with names and that should fix the problem.

lastly the HD problem.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Rshaffer61 thank you for your help and reply. I totally understand that it may take time to get a reply for any help that I may need. I will pass that on the Chris after I give him back his PC.

The only thing that worked so far is the right click on the tool bar on IE and I got my tabs back ... (smile).

I did Run and "msconfig" and looked at the "startup menu" and could not find ASSERT, Wild Tangent or ddcmigrate.exe anywhere. I even looked under the "Services" tab, and saw nothing that looked like these 3. What should I do next???

About the link you gave about the HD problem, I have no blank CD's that I can use to do a bootable CD, can I use a CD that's not blank. Does it matter??? Also, I just went over to Tacktech.com and you know what, there is nothing on that site where I can click "TOOL". Is it a single tab or something else. This must know be my day (smile). Can't find anything

One more thing, I totally spelled Chrispother's wrong, it should have been Christopher. Can you walk me thru how I make that change on the site???

Thank U again !!!

Debra

Edited by chrispother, 16 October 2009 - 10:17 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
For his name you will have to pm a Admin to do that. Let them know the mistake and they should be able to help you. :)
Let's try something else for the errors then.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Oh my, I'm not that technical, I have no idea how to exact a file. Can you walk me thru it, you know hold my hand. Your signature, are you speaking about the logo right under the message you sent me???

D.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Below my message to you will see several lines with multicolored words. Each of those words is a link to a program. You can also click HERE and get to the same program.
The colored word in this message is the link also.