Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start and hard drive won't power up

• Please log in to reply

jeffpqld

jeffpqld

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a problem, where I did something wrong to one computer. The hard drive doesn't boot, I put it to SLAVE on another computer and it won't start the other computer. It seems that when the "faulty" drive is connected (either MASTER or SLAVE), the whole computer won't start up.

How do I get files from this drive (IDE), when the computer it is connected to won't even start and then re-format that drive?

THANKS!!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the two disks are connected to the same flat cable then jumper both as Cable Select, connect the good drive to the end connector and the other one to the mid cable connector. If they are connected to two seperate flat cables then leave the good one as is, jumper the second one as cable select and attach it to the mid cable connector.

jeffpqld

jeffpqld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If the two disks are connected to the same flat cable then jumper both as Cable Select, connect the good drive to the end connector and the other one to the mid cable connector. If they are connected to two seperate flat cables then leave the good one as is, jumper the second one as cable select and attach it to the mid cable connector.

No, that's not the problem.

OK, I've disconnected the motherboard FAN, and the whirring soun d has gone. I can hear the hard drive moving and working, but nothing comes up on the monitor, no start up bios, nothing.

Edited by jeffpqld, 17 October 2009 - 05:45 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to disconnect the "good" drive and boot with the "faulty" disk set as master. If nothing shows up, not even BIOS, reset the BIOS by disconnecting the power cable and removing the cmos battery for 10 minutes.

jeffpqld

jeffpqld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Try to disconnect the "good" drive and boot with the "faulty" disk set as master. If nothing shows up, not even BIOS, reset the BIOS by disconnecting the power cable and removing the cmos battery for 10 minutes.

Thanks, been the best reply so far, hope it works