Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

taking back permission of files all in 1 go(win 7)

• Please log in to reply

stinkvis

stinkvis

• Pip
  • 9 posts
was wondering if anyone knew of a way to take back permissions(as it says no one has permission of a file yet when i add my name all of them come back so its kinda bugged) all in 1 go without using cmd?(as cmd cant start due to it(even to i fixed cmds permissions it still wont start(if anyone can help me on that to would be nice))) as cmd wont load(regedit to but i have a different program that allows me to change the registry but same with cmd if you know how to get them to run it would be nice)

yes its a bit messy(its 4:27am) been working on trying to fix my pc as i cant reinstall(win installer crashes after the reboot and win 7 is the only os on my pc atm that runs) so if anyone can make any sense of what i said and is willing to help please help :)

btw it says that cmd cant be found(yet its there as i try and launch it from the folder) and for some reason all the files that cant start have copies off it on my usb(that i have in my pc of ages now)

Edited by stinkvis, 17 October 2009 - 09:37 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As in all versions of Windows after 2000, you take ownership of a file or group of files by going into Safe Mode (start as normal, keep pressing F8), right-clicking the items you want, selecting Properties and you'll have a security or permissions tab that appears where you can take ownership of what you need. Ignore Regedit, it isn't going to help you.

stinkvis

stinkvis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i know that i can do that normally as well without safe mode but in my case a virus that caused my pc to go mental on permissions locked most of the exe's that i have to use and right clicking every single exe then going to security pressing edit and then typing in my name and then adding it pressing apply and then deleting it(only way i can get it to show the original settings) takes ages even for a few files

and i cant re install as setup wont let me(after it reboots)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you want to wipe the machine, boot off your Windows 7 DVD. Don't run setup from within Windows, it's not going to work.

stinkvis

stinkvis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ya i kinda figured that out after the first time i did it and it failed a few times anyway i solved it with this little thing

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

used that when running from a bart pe disk to take back control over everything on that drive so that i was able to run the programs i needed to fix it up :)