Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Graphics Card problems

• Please log in to reply

shadow6463

shadow6463

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My sister is running an IBM computer (not sure of the specs, it was a gift) with onboard graphics. Being a good brother, I decided to give her my unused NVIDIA 5500 card. Installation went great and it works right, when it works.

The problem is getting the computer to switch to that graphics card instead of onboard. If I boot the computer with the video cable in the onboard area and then switch it once windows boots it works. In this situation I would just let it boot without m seeing it and then get straight to the computer, but for some odd reason it won't let me do that.

Basically, when I switch the cables around after it finishes booting it works fine, but if I just leave it in the NVIDIA card it starts showing strange colors and patterns. Also of note, I can't shut down XP (SP3) properly with the card so I must put back all the settings each time I do the switch tactic. Another thing is that my IBM BIOS won't let me save any changes I make, I can get in but I can't get out (unless I don't save it), which may be a part of the problem since if I could save it I would just switch the graphics from onboard to PCI.

Sorry if I'm missing any information, I already googled and I didn't find anything relevant so I apologize if this is obvious (though I doubt it is) :)

Advertisements

Diarmaid

Diarmaid

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Have you attempted to jump the CMOS jumper or anything? If you clear it, it may allow you to make changes and save. If not, unplug the system and take out the hearing aid battery out the motherboard and wait about 5 minutes. Put everything back and try again. Also, make sure the CMOS jumper is in the right place to make sure that you don't fry anything.