Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download any media

• Please log in to reply

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Here is the problem:

The instruction at "0x0c140068" referrenced memory at "0x0c140068. The memory could not be written.

I get this box everytime I try to download any media. The download starts off ok, but soon that box comes up and kicks me off of the internet. I even tried to look at videos using Real Player and soon was kicked off. And if I can look at any videos, this other box comes up stating that I'm having connection problems. Can anyone help.

Also, can someone give me a link to www.download.com, I can't seem to find the site. I thought it was downloads.com but wasn't right, and after trying download.com that still wasn't the right site. I remember the website has the color yellow on it and when I do a search for the site, it takes me CNET downloads, that's not the site I want.

Thanks

Debra :)

Edited by chrispother, 17 October 2009 - 12:01 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Christopher.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start
Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours:
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Rshaffer61

Thank you for the instructions re: the Memory Diagnostic Test, I will follow all instructions and get back with you some time this week with any results.

Debra :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We will await your results and thank you for the unpdate.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am moving your pm here so that i can answer everything for you.

rshaffer61:

I'm sorry to IM you but I really need your help with this MEMTEST86+2.11 file you gave with the instructions on the website.

I followed your instructions and downloaded the file mentioned above. Now I don't understand where to find this unzip directory that you told me should be there, because after the download, the only thing that appears is that file MEMTEST86.

As I told you, I can get a PC up and running just as long as it's not too technical, and this is too technical for me. I clicked on that file and it said that: I should not open that file, where do I go from here???

Debra

OK when you downloaded the file it should be a zip file
When you click on it then you should have specified a folder for it to unzip to. I suggest unzipping it to your desktop as this will make the steps easier to follow then.
Once the file is unzipped there should be a file in the folder simply named memtest86.iso. It may look like a zip file but thats normal.
What you want to do now is burn that as a ISO file using the program Burncdcc
I hope this answers your question.

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
rshaffer:

I downloaded the BurnCDCC file and opened it, here's the message I got:

The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software? Then

I clicked on Run and here's what I got: "Unable to find or allocate a writable CD/DVD device.

Let me explain from here.
Christopher told me he purchased this PC from Good Will, and not knowing until he got it home that there was no CD drive, only a DVD drive. I found that out myself after I started to troubleshoot it. When I did the Quick Restore on this PC, I used the DVD drive and that's when I found out theres no CD device. .... Very strange.

Anyways, here we are, what's next, if there can be a next????

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Dvd drives should be able to read cd's with no problem.
The issue is that the Burncdcc is not seeing any type of drive.
Now the question is what you have a dvd\cdrw drive or is it simply a dvd player?
If the latter this is why the message.
Can you provide the make and model of the drive and I will try to find the info.

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
rshaffer:

I hope you mean the information that I'm providing below and not the actual DVD information and if you mean the DVD information, where in the world would I find it???

Compaq Presario

Software: XP

Model # MXM50601DV

Serial # SR1316NX

Product # PP155AA

Debra !!! :)

Edited by chrispother, 20 October 2009 - 04:47 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That number gives no results for any dvd drive.
It sounds to me from your description in your previous post that you got a dvd player only.
The SR1316NX number does come up with a compaq system but it shows a dvd\cdrw drive in it from the factory.
I hate to ask but is there any way you can open the system and get me the make and model of the dvd drive itself?

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
it is NO way I'm going to do that. I will just have to give this PC back to Chris and he'll have to invest in having this thing fixed properly, it's beyond what I can do and willing to do.

Rshaffer, let me take this time in thanking you for all your time and expertise in trying to help with this very sick system. I hope that Chris will someday hook up with you for all of his computer needs.

One more thing, I really need to make the corrections to the spelling to Chris' name, I've already submitted to the Administor's team about this problem and havent gotten any replies as yet. Can you point me to the right place where I can resubmit the changing of Chris' Username? It's already been what 5 or 6 days now.

Signing off

Debra!!! :)

Edited by chrispother, 20 October 2009 - 05:00 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any name at the bottom on the main Forum page that is in RED is a administrator.
If you can find one online just send them a pm.
Dsenette, Wannabe, Admin or Sari
Any of them should be able to help. PM one of them if they are online and they will be happy to help.
You are very welcome and anytime Chris wants to continue with this issue just have him log on and post in this topic. I will be happy to assist him.
I appreciate your kind words and this is what makes what we do here worth while. Thank you for being so patient with the steps.
As far as the drive I'm willing to be as I said before it is a dvd drive and not a burner. Let me know how it turns out as we like to know good or bad.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok I have read over this topic and have you been able to determine if the drive is only a readable drive or is it capable of writing also?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Lets try this.

Please Go to
[list]
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4: Expand out DVD/CD-Rom drives

Get us a screen shot of the drives.

123runner

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Runner:

You did great, I found the topic, it's going to be "Can't download any Media"

Also, Chris is running:

XP-2002 Home Edition

Model # ATX-250-12Z Rev: D2

S/N: 134288-04060190093

Serial No.: MXM50601DV

System No.: PP155AA

Here's a No.: X10-60264

I really hope that ONE of these Nos. help !!!

Oh, by the way rshaffer, I opened up his CPU and these are the No I got from there.

Edited by ChristopherLP, 29 November 2009 - 04:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the information what 123Runner asked about? It doesn't look like a dvd\cdrom drive but is the number for the power supply.