Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP wont start up- black screen and no cursor

• Please log in to reply

Warhawk932

Warhawk932

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Today I had just started up my computer and it worked just fine (went to desktop normally w/out loading errors). I came back about 5 minutes later to find an array of multicolored diagonal bars across my screen and nothing responded. So i restarted my computer and waited...and waited...and waited. Nothing happened, it never went to the XP logo or any other loading screen. It wouldn't even go to the BIOS menu. Even after restarting and shutting down multiple times nothing happened, it just goes to a black screen without any cursor or error message. Any help would be great...

Thanks,
Warhawk

Also: Im running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on a Gateway FX510 X

EDIT: If this is unfixable for some reason, info on how to possibly recover my files would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Warhawk932, 17 October 2009 - 03:19 PM.

Advertisements

richard58

richard58

• Pip
  • 2 posts
sounds as if your monitor backlight is out.I just had the same thing happen to my system and had to replace the monitor.

Warhawk932

Warhawk932

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i thought that may have been it too and i borrowed a friends monitor that we knew worked for sure, but we still didn't get anything to boot up. thanks for trying though