Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Auto updates and avoiding SP3

• Please log in to reply

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Good evening. I have my computer configured to download and install automatic updates. I'm concerned that one of these updates might contain Service Pack 3, which I DO NOT want on my machine. How do I configure auto updates so that this is not automatically downloaded onto my PC?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
How to hide Windows update: http://www.ehow.com/...windows-xp.html

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you for supplying the above link. However, when I get to the review and install updates screen, there are no boxes for me to check/uncheck. This is the page I get:

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

The only update available for me right now is SP3, which I don't want. Since there is no box for me to check/uncheck, how do I get around this?

Edited by CompaqBabe, 19 October 2009 - 07:13 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
There is no box "Don't show this update again"?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and why don't you want SP3?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Confusion with this.
Your system specs show

It looks as though you have SP3 already on your system?

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
a) No, there is no box to check/uncheck. If there once was, it's not there anymore. Apparently Microsucks is trying to make it manditory for you to have SP3 on your machine, since there is probably no way around it if you want to get further updates, I suppose. If you go to the windows update site link, you'll see for yourself.

b.) I have a new PC which doesn't have SP3 on it. My old one did. I'll change my system specs here.

c.) I just plain don't want SP3. My computer-savvy friends have all advised against it. They claim it gums up your system. Thank you for any advice, but please spare me any lectures on SP3. I don't want it. Period.

Can anyone else help me so that SP3 doesn't get automatically downloaded onto my PC whether I want it or not?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Information on the file Broni you linked to.

A blocking tool is available for organizations that would like to temporarily prevent installation of Service Pack updates through Windows Update. This tool can be used with:

* Windows XP Service Pack 3 (valid until May 19th, 2009)
* Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (valid until April 28th, 2009)
* Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (valid for 12 months following general availability)
* Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (valid for 12 months following general availability)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

c.) I just plain don't want SP3. My computer-savvy friends have all advised against it. They claim it gums up your system. Thank you for any advice, but please spare me any lectures on SP3. I don't want it. Period.

i'm not going to lecture you at all...what you do with your computer is up to you...but the point of windows updates are to patch flaws and security holes...if you update your computer selectively...it kind of defeats the purpose since you're missing things that require an update to fix...

if you are wanting to be selective about which updates you apply and which ones you don't you should turn off automatic updates completely and just update manually

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Let automatic updates download all updates, including sp-3. When download is finished click the yellow shield icon and click the second from top installation option (not the express option). A list of all the downloaded updates will show up, all boxes checked. Uncheck SP-3 and click OK. Now a dialog box will show up asking if you want the unchecked updates never to be shown again (I am not sure about the exact text). Check the box and click OK. All updates, excluding SP-3 will be installed and SP-3 will not bother you again.