Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installed new 250GB drive but only shows up as 128GB

• Please log in to reply

ZoneIII

ZoneIII

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
My old 80GB PATA hard drive finally crashed. I bought a new 250GB drive, installed it, loaded up XP and everything is going fine but I noticed that the new drive only shows up as being 128GB. Could it be some kind of limitation caused by other hardware? It's an old Pentium 4 machine with 1GB RAM but the darn thing does just what I need it to do and does it very well... at least until the drive crashed. SP3 and all Windows updates up-to-date.

I see that there were a couple other similar threads. One of the issues mentioned was the jumpers. Having never replaced a hd before, I didn't even know about jumpers until I did a little reading while researching drives. The jumper on the new HD is in the same position that the jumper on the original drive was.

I should have also said that I'm not a geek by any stretch of the imagination so I would appreciate it if you pretended that I am an idiot in any responses. :)

I did see that in another thread someone mentioned that it could be a hardware limitation. If that's the case, I could live with it because I don't need the whole 250GB anyway but it would be nice to have it available in case. Also, I know very little about BIOS or how to change settings. The only thing I really know about it is how to access it.

Edited by ZoneIII, 17 October 2009 - 09:47 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you check Disk Management for any "unallocated space"?

ZoneIII

ZoneIII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I just figured out how to access Disk Management. It shows that 128GB is allocated NTFS and 104.89GB is unallocated.

What next? Is there a way to allocate the 104GBs?

Sorry for the dumb questions but this is new to me.

Edited by ZoneIII, 17 October 2009 - 09:55 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nobody is laughing :)

Go Start>Run, type in:
diskmgmt.msc
Click OK.

ZoneIII

ZoneIII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK. I'm there. This is the same screen I came to when I went through My Computer/Manage. I right-clicked on the unallocated 105GB part and clicked on New Partition but I didn't know what I was doing after that so I got out of it without making any changes.

Is there some reason why the entire 233 GB can't be on one partition ©?

Edited by ZoneIII, 17 October 2009 - 10:54 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You can try to right click on 128GB partition and then click on Extend Volume. "Unallocated space" should appear as one of the options.
However this operations sometimes may cause data loss.
The safest way, is to use 3rd party program, like Partition Magic, or Gparted: http://gparted.sourc....net/livecd.php

ZoneIII

ZoneIII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I don't see an option to extend the partion. The active options I have are Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter and Paths, Properties, and Help. Inactive options are Mark Partition as Active, Format, and Delete Partion.

The link that you posted shows products whose descriptions I can't understand. It almost sounds like they are for another kind of system and I can't tell what they do. I searched and found Partition Magic and several other products with almost identical names. But almost $70 seems a little steep for something I would only use once. (I have never had a need for a program like that and probably never will again.)

I was reading that older mother boards can have a limit on how much HD they can see but that downloadable software from the drive manufacture can work around that. But I can't find any software that sounds like what I need at Western Digital website. I'm tempted to try the "new partition" option that I see when I right-click on the unallocated part of my drive but I don't want to ruin something and it says that the maximum size of the new partition will be 107403 MB which is larger than the unallocated space, if my thinking is correct this late at night. I really would like to expand my main partition to use the unallocated part, if possible.

Edited by ZoneIII, 18 October 2009 - 12:23 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
There are some free alternatives:
- Partition Logic: http://partitionlogic.org.uk/
- PartedMagic: http://www.pcworld.c...ml?tk=nl_ddxdwn
- EASEUS Partition Manager: http://www.partition-tool.com/

ZoneIII

ZoneIII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks much! I'll check them out right now.

Two people told me that you have to reload XP with an XP/SP1 XP/SP2 or XP/SP3 slipstream disc in order for XP to see the whole drive. Of course, there would be no sense in bothering with an XP/SP1 slip stream but there supposedly is a problem if you slipstream a pre-SP1 OS disk with SP3. So I created an XP/SP2 and tried it. No luck. Just for the heck of it, I created an XP/SP3 disk using the XP/SP2 as a base. Still no luck. So I'll try the tools that you linked to.

Thanks again!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
SP1 brings support for bigger drives, but it doesn't work the way, your friends told you.
If you install straight XP (no SP), then it won't recognize anything over 128GB, but, if you just install SP1, it'll see bigger drive.

ZoneIII

ZoneIII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have to tell you that the Easus Partion Master that you linked me to worked like a charm! I literally had my problem fixed within 15 seconds of starting the program. I simply deleted the 2nd partion and dragged the C partition to cover the entire drive. Like magic! Thanks so much!

As for pre-SP1 machines not recognizing anything over 138GB: I didn't check Disk Management until I had installed all Windows updates so I don't know what Disk Management would have shown if I had checked it before installing the updates. I wonder if it would have shown the 105GB of unallocated space.

Some of the people I mentioned said that XP wouldn't recognize any disk larger than 138GB if I installed all the Windows updates AFTER I had installed my pre-SP1 OS disc. They said that, at a minimum, I had to slipstream SP1 into the install. But if that was the case, I don't think I would have seen the unallocated space which I was able to format because I added all Windows updates after I installed the pre-SP1 OS.

In any case, it's working now and I learned a bit about partioning. That's something I never messed with before. I have been goofing with it for hours now and the moment I loaded up Easus, the problem was solved. I found Partition Logic to be confusing and when I tried to format the 105GB partition, it didn't list NTFS. Also, I found the program to be a bit confusing for me and it runs at boot up. I also downloaded Parted Magic and have it on a disc but I didn't try it. (As you know, that one runs at boot too.) Easus runs anytime you like. It was incredibly fast too.

You have been a huge help and I really appreciate your help. :)

Edited by ZoneIII, 18 October 2009 - 07:30 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Very cool :)
I'm glad, it worked :)