Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive not recognized when booting with CD

• Please log in to reply

troxio

troxio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
This problem started out as I was doing a check for the C disk, (at the next reboot). I had a storm in my area, so the power went out in the middle of the disk check. Now the next time I tried to reboot, everything seems to be going fine, the XP loading screen loads, and then the blue stop error screen appears with:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

After several attempts of trying to boot in any safe mode, with last know good configuration this didn't work. I then tried to boot with the non-original Windows XP CD, everything goes fine until I received a message that no hard disk drive was detected in my computer. The drive itself is connected properly and worked perfect until this happened. I'm not sure as to what this problem is... I cannot access any info because the boot won't go past the blue screen of death. Could it be because I'm not using the original XP Recovery CD from Windows? I would really hate to lose all the important info from the hard drive.
My desktop is a Dell Dimension 600 with Windows XP Pro SP 3 running. Please ask for more specific info, I will give anything to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance!

*I looked in search and couldn't find a similar problem, so I had to create a new thread.*

Edited by troxio, 18 October 2009 - 10:03 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi troxio. It is always preferred that you create a new thread. Although some symptoms and resolutions are similar, the end result may be different.

During the initial bootup does it display your drive on the screen?
Can you get into the bios? Usually F1,F2,del,esc,F10 are the most common.

Look to see if your drive is shown.
You could also try resetting the bios. Someplace in your bios there will be a "reset to default"

troxio

troxio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
123Runner,

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. When I startup, I press F2, and under system info it says the bios version: A11. It also says that none of the fields under system info are changeable.
The boot sequence is set to the priority of the SATA Hard Drive. The hard drive is recognized under the "drives" menu, ID, capacity are shown, it says "this drive is controlled by the system BIOS.
Note:nowhere in any of the menus is there a dropdown for BIOS.I looked at some similar DELL models online, and their BIOS settings are under "Onboard Devices", however mine are not. I am also booting normally, without the CD.

Edited by troxio, 25 November 2009 - 08:33 PM.