Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer not opening webpages

• Please log in to reply

lavie2282

lavie2282

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Recently my computer has become really slow and webpages aren't opening. I keep getting the message Internet Explorer cannot display webpage. I'm not sure if this is due to a virus or not. Also I have 2 users on the computer. Situation is happening when logged in as either user. Please help. Thank you!

Advertisements

lavie2282

lavie2282

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It looks like it's a problem connecting to the server. Please let me know what information you need in order to help me out.
I have Windows Vista and the computer is a desktop connected to the internet (not through a wireless router). The laptops in the house connecting through the wireless router are also having trouble viewing webpages. With the laptops, the internet signal is excellent and the messenger services (msn messenger/aim) stay logged in. The problem is opening up web pages, even pages that always used to open. Please help. Thanks!

lavie2282

lavie2282

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
anybody? please help

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Have you already tried using another browser ?

Had you recently installed new software ?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

to Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

to Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

lavie2282

lavie2282

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you. that fixed the problem. much appreciated!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)