Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why is it that when i type, and something is infront of it, it gets re

• Please log in to reply

Alaster

Alaster

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
When I am typing, If I go back to correct something (lets say if I missed the 'I' in 'missed'
and type mssed. I click between 'm' and 's' and type 'i'. The first 's' will be deleted. I will end up with mised.)
Why is this? It happens in visual studio and microsoft word. To fix this i always have to save, restart the program. What causes this. How do i turn it off? thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually a feature of the Insert key.

The Insert key (often abbreviated INS) is a key commonly found on computer keyboards.

It is primarily used to switch between the two text-entering modes on a personal computer or word processor. The first is overtype mode, in which the cursor, when typing, overwrites any text that is present on and after its current location. The other is insert mode, where the cursor inserts a character at its current position, forcing all characters past it one position further. The insert/overtype mode toggling is not global for the computer or even for a single application but rather local to the text input window in which the Insert key was pressed.

Edited by Neil Jones, 18 October 2009 - 03:55 PM.

Alaster

Alaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

This is usually a feature of the Insert key.

The Insert key (often abbreviated INS) is a key commonly found on computer keyboards.

It is primarily used to switch between the two text-entering modes on a personal computer or word processor. The first is overtype mode, in which the cursor, when typing, overwrites any text that is present on and after its current location. The other is insert mode, where the cursor inserts a character at its current position, forcing all characters past it one position further. The insert/overtype mode toggling is not global for the computer or even for a single application but rather local to the text input window in which the Insert key was pressed.

yeah i think that was the problem. Thank you!