Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Re-Loading Windows XP HELP!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give.

I sat down to my computer and after a few min I received a message that said that the following file was either corrupt or missing.
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I would be happy to re-format and re-install windows, however I cannot get past this screen.

Here is what I have done so far.
1. Unplugged the power and all cables leading to the mother board, CD Rom, Hard drive ect.
2. I have gone into the Bios and made sure that my hard drive was listed.
3. Went to the boot menu and made my CD Rom the first boot (Windows XP Disk is in CD Rom)
4. Tried to boot from the CD to re-install

Every time I try to boot from the CD it gives me the same error as above.
The following file was either corrupt or missing.
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I will never claim to be a wiz on the computer, but I can follow pretty directions pretty well, and I am not completly helpless, so any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated. I have listed below the little bit of detail that I can provide from my computer.

Windows: XP Home Edition Version 2002
LGA 775 for Intel® Dual Core Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D processors
Intel® 945G Chipset
Supports FSB 1066/800/533 MHz processor, EM64T CPU and H-T Technology
Supports Dual Channel DDRII667/533 x 4 DIMM slots with max. capacity up to 4GB
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950, Pixel Shader 2.0, DirectX 9.0 and Max. shared memory 224MB
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, 1 x PCI Express x1 slot
Supports PCIE Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
Dual VGA Output: Support D-Sub and DVI-D ports with DVI Graphics-SI Card by independent display controllers
Hybrid Booster - Safe Overclocking Technology
Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses
4 x SATAII 3.0 Gb/s connectors
7.1 CH Windows® Vista™ Premium Level HD Audio (ALC888 Audio Codec)
Worldwide First Embedded MB with Windows® Vista™ Premium Logo
Free Bundle: 1 x DVI Graphics-SI Card
HD 8CH I/O: 4 ready-to-use USB Ports, HD 7.1 channel audio jacks