Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wanting To Build First Computer

• Please log in to reply

HOBZ_117

HOBZ_117

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey guys wondering if anyone has suggestions on parts to build a computer mainly for using itunes, downloading, internet, and maybe eventually games.

I Would like to build something around 5-600 dollars but have it be upgradable in the future

any suggestions would be great thanks!

Advertisements

Grongle

Grongle

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, it is good to think about the future, but in your price range you'll have fewer headaches if you simply build yourself the nicest computer you can, just for the present. You will be more able to focus on your optimum price efficiency, without compromising for future possibilities that might never happen.

I built my first computer looking a bit too much at the future, and that was a mistake. Besides, it really is hard to predict the way things will be in just a couple of years.

Having said that, I would tend to get yourself lots of RAM if the price is right.

Also use one of the internet organizations that give you good price comparisons. Here in Canada I use shopbot.com, and there are others as well. These give you the best prices, and you can see if your favourite outlet will price-match. I bought most of my components from NCIX, and they were good about that. This is so important that, if you take your time and don't get too carried away, you could build an $800 or better computer for your $500.

Good luck and have fun.

HOBZ_117

HOBZ_117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thanks alot i noticed your from vancouver i am in the lower mainland and if you have specific locations around vancouver that you recommend please post thanks!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey mate,

What does the budget need to include - a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and OS, as well as the tower?

Cheers

Troy

HOBZ_117

HOBZ_117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
just a tower everything inside and a os no monitor etc.

Grongle

Grongle

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, if you are in the Lower Mainland, you definitely want to use Shopbot.ca and NCIX. Look for the closest NCIX to you. It is mainly a great big mail-order computer savvy supply company, but here you can walk in and buy over the counter.

Just be careful. There is a 15% re-stocking fee, so do your research first. There is a good NCIX forum.

Stores like that are totally different from the big chain stores. Their whole philosophy is different. You'll definitely save a lot of money by NOT going to the chain stores; I've been comparing prices pretty intensively these last couple of years.

I see you already have XP. That being the case, I suggest you don't spend any money on a new OS. Keep your XP, and see what comes your way in the future, because the OS certainly IS something that is future-able. Not only that, but really XP still rivals Vista (and lots of people prefer XP), while Windows 7 can wait awhile for your needs.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I had some fun with it, it's a simple machine for the price but is also ready for some good upgrades down the track, i.e. you could easily upgrade the processor to a Quad-Core beast, and the PSU is more than capable of handling a decent graphics card in the PCI-Express slot. For now you would just run on onboard graphics until you can save up a bit for the graphics card, which fits the bill perfectly for the "maybe eventually games" part of your original post. :)

[attachment=35182:NCIX_Cart.JPG]

EDIT: There were some mail-in rebates too, so while all that adds up to $601, then you would subtract mail-in rebates once you get them. Make sure to hound the manufacturers for the rebates, though. Usually if you keep in touch you'll get them, but sometimes they like to not give the rebates. Be sure to read all documentation carefully and do exactly what the rebates instructions say. Then you can use the rebates money toward a graphics card. :)

HOBZ_117

HOBZ_117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
So for NCIX instead of ordering online i can just visit one of their stores and buy the components at the same price?