Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop can't see any wireless network

• Please log in to reply

nicon

nicon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently moved and had to re-setup a new wireless network at home. Unfortunately, my laptop can't seem to see any wireless network (the available wireless network list is always empty). There's a non protected wireless network near my home, and even though it doesn't appear in the list, it automatically connects to it. Using my girlfriend's laptop, I can tell that there is about 10 networks in the area (including mine). My laptop doesn't see any of them. I must have triggered something because I never had any problem of the kind before.

I'm using Windows XP SP2
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection

What should I be on the look out for? What are the possible causes?

Someone told to verify that the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings is checked (in Wireless Network Connection Properties) but the problem is I can't find it. I know it's supposed to be under the Wireless Networks tab in the Wireless Network Connection Properties. Problem is... the tab just ain't there.

Edit : Card drivers are up to date.

Edited by nicon, 19 October 2009 - 07:05 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
99% of laptops toggle wireless in one of two ways:

Physical toggle switch on the front or side of the laptop.
Function key - typically hold down FN and an F key - typically F2.

nicon

nicon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

99% of laptops toggle wireless in one of two ways:

Physical toggle switch on the front or side of the laptop.
Function key - typically hold down FN and an F key - typically F2.

I'm sure wireless is on because it connects me to a non protected of one my neighborhood. Problem is, since it doesn't see any other network, I can't connect to mine.

Edited by nicon, 19 October 2009 - 02:12 PM.

nicon

nicon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I managed to finally connect to my network by downloading Intel software.