Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

shollywood

shollywood

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a PC that I'm trying to do a fresh install of XP and/or Win 7 on and it keeps crashing in the middle and giving me a blue screen saying....if this is the first time you've seen this reboot, blah ,blah. This happens at different parts of the install process. I've got to 40% even 100%, then when i go into the OS it happens again?? Any info on what the problem(s) could be? I've done fresh installs many, many times and have never encountered this. This leads me to believe either the motherboard or RAM is faulty??? Help is greatly appreciated...

TIA

Edited by shollywood, 18 October 2009 - 08:44 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the long response time.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

shollywood

shollywood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply. I cannot boot it up without getting the OS installed first. Are you suggesting to try to install the OS with just one stick of RAM first (have 2 in there now)??? Or should I run memtest with each stick of RAM one at a time?

shollywood

shollywood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I had run Memtest the other day after reading your suggestions to others and here's what I got:

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010571.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is both sticks or just one of the memory modules?
Of both then I suggest running the test on each module by itself.
You may only have one bad module.
I can say that bad memory is your problem.
Suggestion is to buy new memory first.