Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive Opens and Closes

• Please log in to reply

melinda2009

melinda2009

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello again!

i have a 2006 sony vaio desktop [windows xp], and when it's on, the CD/DVD-RW drive flap keeps opening and closing. this computer recently crashed and we took it to staples to get it fixed. the man put in a whole new hard drive because the old one was "corrupted". when we got the tower back, it was hard to get everything started up again. it still doesn't run like brand new. when i go on youtube and try to make a video full screen, my computer restarts. when you try to put cds in the cd-rw drive, they get stuck and you have to press that little button to get it out. and if you try to put it on sleep, it restarts. kaspersky 2010 security hasn't detected a virus.
i know something is wrong with the computer still. is it a virus? was the new hard drive not installed properly?
i appreciate any help.

thanks!
melinda2009

Edited by melinda2009, 19 October 2009 - 12:48 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds more like the cdrw is failing. If you susect a infection then I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think a bigger issue is that staples seems to have made your system worse and not better...i would think that it's now their responsibility to fix the issue

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree as it doesn't seem that this issue was happening before Staples worked on it.
If it was a issue then how did they get the drive up and running?
How did they test the drive to make sure it was working without a cd or a floppy disk?
I would call them or take it back and have them fix whatever they did.

melinda2009

melinda2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i did some scans, all of which came out clean.
so, yeah. i need to take it back to staples and yell a bit.

thanks for the reassurance and help!
melinda2009