Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Open Files On A Drive "floppy Drive"

• Please log in to reply

PBNJG

PBNJG

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My 98 HP Pavillon had recently had a second memory chip added. It only had the original 64 MG and a 256 MG chip was added to the second slot. Ever since, the floppy drive states every disk requires formatting. When I try to execute that command on a disk I get the message that the disk can not be formated. So I am in this never ending loop, NOT Formatted, CAN'T be formatted. and can not access any files on any disk.

Did the excersice of adding the 256 RAM memory cause something? I have gone into device manager and deleted the Standard Floopy Disk Controller (both) and restarted the computer. The computer did re-install and still same issue. I am hesitant to open the machine to see if a cable became loose while installing the Memory. I would suspect if that was the case, the PC would not have been able to re-iinstall the floppy disk controller..
Thoughts?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The addition of memory alone should not have caused any problems with the floppy drive. However, if the ribbon cable was knocked loose (like your correct to susupect) it may cause this problem. Or, maybe it's it's just coincidence and your floppy drive just failed.

Open the case, if the cables are seated tightly, buy a new floppy drive. <_<