Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Retrieve image files

• Please log in to reply

graisbeck

graisbeck

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

After running CHKDSK my Vista Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop would not fully start up it kept on saying "software not installed press ok to finish" so I ran a full install using my recovery disk. The problem is now I've lost some important photographs (I know I should of backed them up, but I'm afraid I didn't)

Any ideas please???

Edited by graisbeck, 19 October 2009 - 03:33 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
http://www.raymond.c...overy-software/

graisbeck

graisbeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

I have tried using the recovery tools from the link supplied above, but none of them found anything. I tried running some of them from a memory stick but still didn't get anywhere.

When I first ran the recovery disk I think I opted for the destructive restore(?) option. Does that mean that my images are gone forever???

Thanks for any help.

Edited by graisbeck, 21 October 2009 - 01:15 PM.

graisbeck

graisbeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Is it worth trying a fresh install of Vista in a different partition, then try to recover the images?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not particularly, if you did a destructive restore...then that's exactly what it was (they don't call it that for nothing)...it formatted the drive first then reinstalled windows

all of the apps listed on the link that broni suggested are pretty standard for home use, and they're all pretty reliable

if they're not showing the files (or any files) that can be recovered...then you're pretty much out of luck

there are companies that can take your hard drive and open it up and actually inspect the platters with various tools (electron microscopes etc..) if the data is really that important...but this costs A LOT of money

graisbeck

graisbeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok thanks for your help. I'll try again.