Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP loads then screen goes black

• Please log in to reply

crazychilean7

crazychilean7

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi, I'm writing cause every time I start up my computer everything loads but then I get an windows message that pops up and says "The system has recovered from a serious error.". Shortly after my computer screen just goes blank. The computer is still running but there is nothing on the screen. Recently I had a trojan on an external hard drive that your website helped me remove. It was almost immediately after I removed it from the external hard drive that this started happening to my computer. I can load up my computer in safe mode but obviously can't access the internet (I'm on a friends computer). Please help.

Thanks
Jason

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello crazychilean7...

While in Safe Mode, create a new user account for yourself. Make sure to give it Admin permissions. Reboot and see if you can log in to the new account normally.

wannabe1

crazychilean7

crazychilean7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I was able to log onto windows long enough to do a system restore back to last week and it seems to be working fine. Should I be worried it will keep happening or do you think that fixed it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It may be ok. I was thinking it might be a corrupt user account, but it may have been a hiccup in the registry.

Another possibility is some corruption in the file system. If it happens again, try running a disk check on the system drive.

Glad you got things going! Nice job... :)

crazychilean7

crazychilean7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks and thanks for the prompt response...if it starts doing it again I'll put up another post

crazychilean7

crazychilean7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok, so it started doing it again. This time it restarted a couple times and the second time it came back on it started doing the blank screen. It worked for about 10 hours after I did the system restore point but now just goes blank or restarts. What do you think I should do next? Should i do the user thing or should I run the disk check? Let me know what you think.

crazychilean7

crazychilean7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok I just tried two things that didn't work.

I was able to get to the system restore again and tried to restore to a point about two weeks ago that you guys had me make when you were helping me with my hard drive. I thought that would fix it for sure since it was working fine then but shortly after the restore completed the screen went blank again.

After that I rebooted into safe mode and tried doing a disk scan on my C:\ drive on the next reboot. When I rebooted my computer it started to run the disk scan but then restarted the computer twice and then on the third time went to the blank screen...

Don't know if this will help at all or what it means...please help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can still boot to Safe Mode, click Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, and choose Command Prompt.

In the Command Session window, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

You'll be told the drive is busy and asked if you want to run the check on the next boot. Type Y and press Enter.

Type exit and press Enter.

Reboot.

This check is more thorough than the generic disk check that runs from the tools menu. It may take an hour or more to run...let it finish. See if the machine will boot normally after the disk check completes.

jester0425

jester0425

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same issue as above but I cannot load into Safe Mode. Does anyone have any suggestions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: jester0425

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

crazychilean7

crazychilean7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm going to back up a few things then try what you said...should post later on in the day

crazychilean7

crazychilean7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I did what you said but when I restarted my computer it started to run the scan and after about two seconds the screen went black again? I can still get to safe mode...what next?

crazychilean7

crazychilean7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm sure this isn't related but my printer is acting up now as well. Do you think its a hardware problem? I was thinking it might have something to do with my graphics card but I'm really not sure. Let me know