Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD burner not being detected

• Please log in to reply

dajackal

dajackal

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there,
I am having trouble with my DVD burner which was working fine and now won't burn disks.
I have an LG GH22LP20 Lightscribe Internal super multi DVD rewriter. (E-IDE/ATAPI version) I also have a DVDROM connected on the same IDE channel both jumpers were set to Cable select
It has been working flawlessly since installation sometime ago but has recently decided it is not a DVD burner any more!!!???
Any burning software I try and use simply tells me there is no DVD burner attached/installed on my system.
I have browsed through a few similar topics and tried a few things to remedy but nothing seems to work, things like:

- Installing lastest firmware (mine is v1.02, latest is v1.03) but when executed it doesn't reconise any valid drives.

- Deleting registry keys (I think, from memory, they were something like HKEY....."upper" and "lower")

- uninstalling both drives and the IDE/atapi controllers from device manager and rebooting

- Disconnecting the DVDROM and leaving just my burner connected with jumper set to master

and a copule of other things I can't remember what they were now

Advanced system optimiser allows me to select both drives (although its calling both of them CDROM's) but will not provide any info on them
While EVEREST Ultimate is returning all the exact specs and info of the drive!!! Everest seems to be the only thing on my computer that is correctly identifying the drive as a burner and lists all the exact specs. Everything else including windows XP seems to get it wrong! This seems wierd to me as I would of thought if XP was incorrectly identifying the drive ALL software running under it would do the same!!???

Anyway I hope someone out there can help resolve this (apparently quite common) problem for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am in desperate need of the burner to back up some important data onto disc.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!! :-])

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
IMO, burning laser is out.

dajackal

dajackal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Broni, Thanks for your reply :-])

I also had another problem that someone is currently helping me with through these forums - my computer was infected with a trojan (packed.win32.TDSS.z) After following his instructions to run combofix my DVD problem 'seems' to have cured itself!???
I haven't tried to burn anything yet because I am waiting for him to respond to the combofix log file I posted for him and am awaiting any further instructions he may have for me. But it looks promising as all my programs are now recognising the drive correctly again!!!

So thanks again for your reply and to all others with similar problem as mine i'll post again once I've completed any further instructions for removing the aforementioned trojan and let you all know if its fully functional again.

Cheers

PS just out of interest Broni what does IMO mean??

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
IMO = in my opinion :)
I'm glad, DVD drive showed up :)