Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing hard disk drives

• Please log in to reply

jesse24

jesse24

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey all, I was just wondering if I could get a little help on how to change up my hard disk drives. I had a friend tamper with my Windows a while ago and he made me 3 hard disk drives, labelled: Pagefile (C:), Local Disk (D:), Gaming Drive (I:). They all have 4.76BG, 124GB, and 19.5GB respectively but my I: drive's disk space has become used up and my D: drive still has 50.7GB of free space. I was wondering if someone could some how show me how to 'merge' both my D: and I: as one drive together. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
go to the GParted website and follow their instructions for making a bootable CD

you need to run checkdisk before using GParted to make sure the disk is in good shape, to do this open my computer, right click on your hard drive (looks like you've got one hard drive with multiple partitions...so do this for each drive shown in my computer just to be safe) and choose properties, then click on tools, then click the button next to disk check, check both boxes and press ok, if it asks you to schedule a checkdisk on reboot tell it yes, then reboot the computer

then boot to the GParted CD that you made earlier and follow These instructions to resize your partitions, you'll want to first shrink the D drive (maybe by 25 GB) then grow the I drive

after you run this you'll have to restart the computer and it will want to run checkdisk again, make sure to let that run to completion

with any drive modification like this you should make a backup of anything important that's on the computer BEFORE going ahead with the resize