Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

printers not recognised

• Please log in to reply

franndon

franndon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Computer stopped recognising Canon Pixma 170 printer. Tried reinstalling and got 'Unknown device". After several failed attempts reformatted hard drive, no success. Concluded printer problem and tried new printer, Lexmark 3650 all in one station. Once again not recognised. Both printers work on other computers. Other devices work on USB ports. I'm stuck.
Running Windows XP home edition 2003, with SP 3

Thanks
Franndon

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you run the installation CD that came with either of the printers? did you follow the instructions and install the software BEFORE connecting the printer?

franndon

franndon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello dsenette, thanks for replying. Yes, I installed the software for both printers from the disc and followed their installation guide. When I got to the step for connecting the printer cable to the usb port on both occasions the printer was not recognised and I could go no further. The screen stayed up but the continue button never un-greyed. I have also tried different printer cables with no success.

Cheers
Franndon

franndon

franndon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Problem solved. It turned out to be a combination of legacy software from old printer and faulty cable. Thanks for the help

Cheers
Franndon