Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE PCI Controller Card in SATA PC - Work?

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Old and haven't yet caught up to new technology ... can I use and IDE Controller Card in a PC that only has SATA HDD's? Performance?

Can I connect an IDE DVD reader and an HDD from the same card? Additional drivers needed?

Would like to get a new Dell PC in a few weeks with Win 7 - planned on using my current HDD (which is IDE) as a 2nd HDD (storage only) and my current DVD reader (also IDE} as a 2nd optical - but new Dell's don't support IDE devices directly ... thus my questions.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
All motherboards still support a couple PCI slots so you can get a IDE controller PCI card. SATA offers superior performance.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thanks for the quick respense.

Any special things (drivers, etc) I'll meed?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also..it's still EXTREMELY rare for a computer to come without at least one IDE controller...even if all you can get installed are SATA drives at the factory...there's probably still an IDE controller on the board...

have you verified that there isn't an IDE controller at all? or just assuming because they don't offer IDE drives in the configurator

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I 'talked' to Dell support (via Live Chat) and he said Dell no longer ships PC which support IDE devices.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Thanks for the quick respense.

Any special things (drivers, etc) I'll meed?

If there are any, they will come with the card.

..it's still EXTREMELY rare for a computer to come without at least one IDE controller...

New motherboards put in PCs from the big makers are beginning to show up without floppy or IDE controllers. That saves Dell about $.10 per board. :)

When you go to ASUS or Foxconn or whoever is making their boards these days and order them in lots of 100,000, you can get them any way you want. Of course, Dell would never do anything proprietary, right? :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
doesn't make it any less rare....and again...i haven't seen it yet (doesn't make it any less plausible)

however i've also had people tell me that they only had sata ports in their computer (or otherwise) because that's the type of drive that the computer came with so they assumed that the IDE ports didn't exists...hence the desire for verification as to whether it was proven that the machine in question (since it's not in possession) didn't already have an IDE port

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Intel branded boards are SATA only.

Dell boards (with Intel processors) are effectively Intel boards with a Dell name on them, a re-packaged BIOS and a board design that makes it impossible to use in any other case and impossible to put any other board in a Dell case.

Dell machines haven't had IDE ports for a long while now. They tend to follow the trends of Intel boards with half the back panel chopped off. Soon as Intel dropped support for PS/2 keyboards and mice, Dell "dropped" them too.

In fact Dell make effectively nothing of their own. The boards are rebranded Intel usually, the printers are repackaged HPs or Lexmarks, and the monitors are probably whatever was in stock at the time, Hanns G or whatever

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

doesn't make it any less rare....

:) A couple seconds with Google shows different.

Intel branded boards are SATA only.

Starting way back with ICH8 - note in 2006 where RegisterHardware noted,

it's clear from the chipset architecture diagram, parallel ATA's not part of the story.

Dell machines haven't had IDE ports for a long while now.

Right. Going back at least 2 years that I know of.

I don't think it is all Dell boards - yet, but many if not most - and likely to be all before long.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank y'all

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Just got an Inspiron 545 and this issue is moot. The machine doesn't have physical room for a 2nd HDD (even if the motherboard supported IDE's .. which it doesn't). Fortunately the HDD is 500GB so I can 'copy' logical drives from my old HDD to directories on the big HDD ... plus I have a 1TB external.

This topic is RESOLVED