Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

do not unstand !

• Please log in to reply

ss1

ss1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
vista, windows task manger, processes, right click ! What is the difference between END PROCESS and END PROCESS TREE? [ What happens if I end provess ? ]I am trying to turn off AVG. Donot want to take out of computer, also running AVAST. Thanks in advance. I am in my 70's, and do not understand everything about this computer. :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ss1...

If you want to run Avast rather than AVG, I would recommend just removing AVG.

Click on the Start orb (button), then click on "Control Panel". In Control Panel, click on Uninstall a Program in the Programs section (In classic view, double click on Programs and Features").

In the window that opens, locate and click on AVG, then click on the Uninstall/Change link that will appear in the window's toolbar. Follow the prompts to uninstall AVG.

wannabe1

ss1

ss1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I DO NOT want to unstall AVG ! Just turn it OFF. I tried what you suggested a while back! When I tried to reinstall AVG later, it cost me $135.00 to get the computer straighten out. AVG does not unstall well. Even with a software uninstaller.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi ss1,

Uninstalling AVG should not cause problems with your computer unless there are other problems present on your computer.

You should only have one Anti Virus application installed on your computer as they conflict with each other causing problems. This is what wannabe1 is suggesting.

Ending the process tree or ending the process will stop parts of the software temporarily, this also can cause problems with your computer.

If you don't feel comfortable uninstalling AVG (as per the above instructions), you should ask someone with experience to help you, or continue using AVG and uninstall Avast.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As sarahw stated, having two anti-virus programs on a machine can cause all kinds of issues...I highly recommend uninstalling one or the other,

That said, you can stop the AVG from starting with Windows by disabling it using the Microsoft Configuration Tool. Click the Start orb and type msconfig in the Search Field...then click the msconfig link at the top of the results (top of the menu).

In the Configuration window, click the Startup tab. Locate the AVG entry in the list and remove the tick from the box next to it...click Ok. Reboot.

When the machine starts, you will be told there was a configuration change. Tick the box in this window to Not show this message again and click Ok.

AVG will no longer start when Windows starts.

ss1

ss1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much. It worked.