Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP: Blue screen of death. Windows XP CD won't boot

• Please log in to reply

dezzz

dezzz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
What happened was recently my computer restarted out of nowhere when I was browsing the internet. When my computer restarted, it would not go past the windows loading screen and just reset (blue screen of death). I tried going into safe mode however, nothing seems to work other than booting Windows into 'debugging mode' and everything works fine.

I'm trying to correct this problem by possibly using the Windows XP CD to repair Windows. Here's when I run into another problem. The Windows XP CD simply will not boot. I've tried changing the boot order in the bios but the 'press <any> key to boot from CD' will always be skipped no matter what. I've even tried different DVD/CD drives and different Windows XP CDs. I only have ONE DVD drive(burner).

For the blue screen of death I received this message: Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL something like that

So.. what should I do guys? Your help will be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by dezzz, 20 October 2009 - 05:55 PM.

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi Dezzz,
Welcome to Geeks To Go.

Have you tried System Restore?
If you have installed anything recently? Uninstall it.
If you have added any new hardware, remove it.
Was the DVD working before this problem happened? Do you see the lights on the DVD when you turn on the machine?

Edited by sarahw, 20 October 2009 - 07:09 PM.

dezzz

dezzz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, I don't have system restore enabled and I have not installed anything new recently. The DVD drive works fine because the Windows XP CD works fine when I'm in 'Windows Debugging mode'. I have even tried swapping my DVD drive with another DVD drive that I have lying around in my other computer and it still won't boot up the Windows XP CD.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi,
When you boot up, try using the chkdsk /f line in the command prompt.
If it asks to reboot, allow it.
After that, try sfc /scannow