Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer wont start up

• Please log in to reply

sharifismaeil

sharifismaeil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Starting a while back maybe like two weeks ago my computer started overheating and occasionally turn off and the screen would say "thermal event has occured, your computer has overheated" or something like that. But i eventually clean out my computer just taking out the big clumps of dust and cleaning the fans and it worked fine for a while. but now every time i try to turn it on it just hums really loud and all the lights light up correctly but nothing happens. whats odd is i suspect maybe its a monitor or video card problem but i am not sure since the monitor wont show any image and the monitor and video card are both connected properly.

i am typing this from a friends house so please be patient with responses.

my computer is a custom made computer made from someone else given to me as a gift so i personally cannot tell you the exact specs of it, only what i know. i do know its running windows xp, has 1 gb of ram, and the video card is an ATI RADEON 1800X

thank you in advance.

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi sharifismaeil,

Make sure the heatsink is firmly attached to the CPU. Make sure all the cards and cables are seated correctly.
If that doesn't work, you will have to start pulling out hardware until you find what is causing the problem.

Start with the graphics card.

Can you hear the hard drives spinning? Does it appear to be starting normally with nothing on the screen?
Also, where is the loud humming coming from? (Check which particular fans, etc)

sharifismaeil

sharifismaeil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
sorry for not replying sooner but i kind of fixed it a couple days ago by hooking up my monitor to my motherboard instead of the video card and the screen showed up but it says something about needing a reboot disk. i dont have my reboot disk so i have no idea what i should be doing now. none of my other friends have a boot disk either so i cant just use theirs but i heard you can make one or something. what should i do?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi,
You can make a 3.5" boot disk by putting the disk into the drive, right clicking that drive in my computer, and select "Make a boot disk"