Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pixelated Screen

• Please log in to reply

Brian21

Brian21

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there, I am new to this forum. A friend recommended it, so thought I'd give it a shot. Here is my issue. When I turn on the computer after a few minutes to an hour, the screen will get solid, almost translucent pixelated lines. I starts out in a website I am viewing or a program I have open. When I move my mouse around the screen everything else begins to turn pixelated. Eventually the screen starts to fade to black and white and becomes completely pixelated with vertical lines. I have gone to a local computer store. They ran some memory tests and diagnostics and said there was nothing wrong. When I got home it began again. I have tried using different ram, a new video card, and a new psu. I am not sure what to do now, all my drivers are up to date as well. I have also reformatted twice. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thank you. Also here are my computer specs. (I will be out of town for a funeral for a few days, so I might not get to check this until I get back)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor BX80570E8400 - 3.
Motherboard: MSI P7N SLI Platinum Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 7
Memory: OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800M
PSU: OCZ 850w GameXStream Power Supply (SLI-Ready)
Harddrive: WD Caviar Green 750GB 32MB/SATA-3G
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB PCIe w/Dual Link
and my case has plenty of cooling, it's a Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower.

Edited by Brian21, 20 October 2009 - 08:28 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Hi Brian21 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

How you screen looks is dependent on only a few things. That being video card, drivers, and monitor. Yes ram will create havoc, but not generally for video. You have reformatted, changed video cards, and PSU.

Have you tried different drivers for the video? Sometimes the latest are not always the best.
Have you tried another monitor? That would be my next choice.

123runner

Brian21

Brian21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried 3 seperate video cards in different pci slots. All seemed to freeze, artifact, or pixelate; none are overheating as well. Could the issue be something with my OS or Motherboard?