Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

compaq presario

• Please log in to reply

really frustrated

really frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
uh oh...now i'm getting an error when running the scannow process. First one is :files thare are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your windows xp home edition CD-rom now.

I clicked on retry and then it says: The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD-Rom into your CD-Rom Drive.

Then I clicked on more information and it says: possible reasons for this problem: You have inserted the wrong CD, (i.e., a different Windows product CD than the version installed) or The CD-Rom drive in your system is not functioning.

I tried to cancel, but it says: If you cancel, Windows might require you to insert a CD later. Are you sure you want to skip this file?

I went to the registry editor first and changed the path to the c: drive and I rebooted...so I am not sure what is happening?? I feel like I have to leave it where it is until I get a response from you. I'm afraid to do anything!

Thanks,

Susan

Advertisements

really frustrated

really frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Oh...forgot to mention that I did the chkdsk again and it seemed to work fine. Took an hour or so. THEN I just reread your post about the scannow process....did I jump too fast to do it? I realize now that it says at the beginning that if it didn't work to go on to that next step.

This may be why people say to read all instructions first before doing installs!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This may be why people say to read all instructions first before doing installs!

:)

The scan needs the disk to copy files it finds are missing or corrupted.
You will need to have a Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Since it asked for the cd then there is a good chance it has found a problem with your system files that needs to be corrected.

really frustrated

really frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yikes....I do have the entire set of them, however, how do I know that it is the one that goes with this computer...or the other one we have? I am relatively sure these are the set that go with this one, but if they aren't...could that be causing a problem within itself? Do you have any idea how to tell?

Thanks again!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it could be the problem in itself.
If the disk you used is wrong then try the other.
If this can't be done then we may have to move on to the next step