Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop cant access desktop over wireless network

• Please log in to reply

dajackal

dajackal

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I have a recurring problem that is relly frustrating me and just can't pinpoint what the issue is.

I have a laptop and desktop computer using a wireless router to connect to the internet which they both do fine. The problem I am having though is that they have issues accessing each other.
When I set up the home network using my wireless router as the access point I had major problems getting each computer to access each others shared files. After alot of time and effort I eventually just gave up trying as all my network settings seemed to be correct but I just couldn't get them to 'see' each other in the network places window. Although having said that I would ocasionally get one or the other to gain access but then fiddle with some oter setting in order to get both working correctly and just end up losing the working one. So I just gave up!!!

Then one day seemingly out of the blue they both started working completely normally. ie I could access shared files on both computers from either station. They have stayed fully functional like this for some time but yesterday my laptop has again stopped seeing any network resources. In the my network places all it will show is 'my web sites on MSN' (where previously it was showing all my shared folders etc.
If i click on view workgroup computers it returns this message - workgroup is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers is not currently available.
(I am logged onwith an administrator account)

The desktop shows up all my shared folders etc., that are connected to the desktop only, in the 'my network places' folder. And shows itself in the view workgroup computers window.

Both computers are in the same workgroup and like I say had been working fine for some time.

From the desktop I can ping the desktop, access point and strangely enough the laptop as well!!!
From the laptop I can ping the laptop and access point only.

Do any of you helpful people have any idea what might be going on here!??? It is frustrating cause I like to access alot of files on the desktop from my laptop.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If you need any settings etc just ask but like I say this network was functioning fine and to my knowledge no settings have been changed its just stopped working.

Thanks in advance to anyone that reckons they have the answer!

Advertisements