Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't connect to wireles but can with a cable

• Please log in to reply

surfwchris

surfwchris

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
hi, i have a laptop with XP. last week some update came thru and i can not connect thru my wireles card. it works with a cable. i updated the drivers, even did a system restore TWICE once to last friday and once to septemebr. it still does not work. i did release/renew and i can release but not renew its like can not assign IP address. i tried conecting to different networks (home and work)and its the same situation. what should i do????/ thanks for HELP!

Advertisements

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
There are any number of things that can cause a dhcp failure. first off i would like you to try a few basic diagnostic tricks to give me a bit more information.
a good place to start is to reset your router as well as your nic seeing as the card may not be the problem at all especially if it is a older linksys G model they have a nasty habit of becoming senile in old age and randomly dropping connections.
if this doesent work you can check to makesure your antena isn't turned off some times the button or switch on the keyboard that disables the wireless just turns off the antenas while leaving the card it's self online press the button/ switch a few times to make sure this isn't the case.

secondly if you havent already tried you can restart the computer youl be surprised how many problems a daily restart can avoid/fix

another simple trouble shooting step is to check your wireless card's configuration to make sure it isn't accidently set as a static ip if there is a manually assigned address and gateway, the nic will ignore the dhcp server alltogether.
to do this
1) go to control panel and click switch to classic view.
2)double click network connections
3) rightclick the active wireless connection it will be the one with the name of your wireless adapter in grey underneath the title
4)in the general tab scroll down and double click the object labled internet protocol (TCP/IP)
5)make sure the obtain an ip address automatically button is selected and the obtain dns server address automaticly buton is also checked.
6) press okay on both of the open dialogue boxes than right click the connection again and select repair.

if the above options are already set up properly you can also try reentering the password to your wireless network.

if this doesent work and your nic supports it another thing you can try doing is changing the nic's network address this forces the router to treat the card as a new computer on the network and will assign you a fresh unused ip address

1) go to network connections like before and select properties on the wireless card.
2) right above the scrolling menu there is a button that says configure click it
3) select the advanced tab and there will be another scrolling menu labled property if your card supports this feature youll see a object named network address click it
4)on the side of the screen that says value there are 2 buttons not present and a button with a blank value. enter a random number into the box consisting of numbers 1-9 and letters A-F. dont do this on a buisness network even though the odds of you picking the same address as another computer on the network are astronomical it can happen and this will cause both computers to expiriance connectivity issues untill you change or unplug one of them. but on a small home network this is rather safe to do. just make sure when your done with the test you set the value back to not preasant to reset the value to default. this will tell you fairly certainly wether or not it is your nic or your router at fault.

if none of these turn up any usefull solutions please include the brand and modelnumber of your router and network cards as well as a basic description of how your home network is set up.