Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot.ini missing and Strange RAID problem

• Please log in to reply

Voland

Voland

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok

I spent like 10 grand on my computer and its really nice.
I have 2 HD which are the exact same size and model that were configured for RAID 1. The top drive I booted from and everything I ever did on the first one was mirrored on the second one in case one of them should fail.. the drives are connected with thin Red cabels that hook to rectanguler slots on the mother board.

Well one day I get a blue screen and cant boot at all. It says my boot.ini is faild to load (because it is missing) and it cant boot from windows without getting a blue screen.

so what I did was is I went into BIOS and set the drive I boot from to IDE. I went into the SATA settings and it had choices.

RAID IDE AHDC

I choose IDE which allowed me to boot just fine but still with no boot.ini.
After booting I ran anti virus stuff and found LOADS of trojans and nasty stuff and took a while but I finnaly got rid of everything that is detectable by F-secure spybot S&D and Regmechanic.

My second drive can boot but some of the windows components required to function are in the startup file as loading from a drive that dose not exist.so I cant see my bars or run any programs except task manager. So I figure since my first drive is fixed I will just switch it over to RAID in bios and then run a "rebuild" makeing the second drive a mirror..

Well It wont let me boot if the drive is set to RAID... I get a blue screen about a Non_default page file or greater or less then something. Recovery consol is not capable of recognising my drives regaurdless of what IDE OR RAID setting they are set to. Which means I cannot rebuild the boot.ini with that..

So my question is can you help me rebuild my boot.ini so that hopefully doing so will allow me to set my drives back to raid and then restore my data redundancy?

I am guessing it is the missing boot.ini that is preventing me from booting IN RAID mode. But it may be that new ZALGOO boot virus all my friends keep talking about. I hope thats not the case and that it is something that can actually be fixed.

Advertisements

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hello? Anybody there? its been forever.. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok so I just got done fixing my boot.ini for my main drive and did a virus scan and the works and found nothing wrong.. not a thing.. checkdsk also found nothing wrong.

So I boot into bios and set my SATA config from IDE to RAID and the same error message comes back when I am about to load windows

IRGL_NOt_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop: 0x0000000A (0xE18FC008, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001, 0x80610028)

I have no idea what this message means but its the same one every time I try to boot my drive or drives in RAID. Which like I said worked before.. so something changed to make it this way.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi Voland.
I have passed your issue along to Techs who are more qualified in Raid configuring.
Please be patient (I know you have been waiting a long time) but I want to make sure you get the right Tech to assist with your issue.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

If the system currently boots at all, make a full backup of all your data immediately and then head on over to the malware forum to completely get rid of those viruses first.

For help removing a virus, you'll want to head to the Malware section of this forum.

Specifically, follow all the instructions in this link (click here).

The steps will explain how you post a log. Make sure you start a new topic in the Malware forum (click here).

One of our experts will review your log and help you clean your machine like new :)

Just beware the forum is very busy, please don't reply to your own thread as it will look like somebody is already helping you. If it is 3 days or longer with no reply, feel free to post a New Topic in the Waiting Room (click here).

Once you are clean, return here and we will pursue fixing the RAID back up.

Cheers

Troy

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
it is clean... I spent 345 dollars to be sure of that fact.

I need help specifically with this RAID issue. I gave an exact error message and that should be enough to figure out the problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Voland please understand we are only going off what you have stated.here...

After booting I ran anti virus stuff and found LOADS of trojans and nasty stuff and took a while but I finnaly got rid of everything that is detectable by F-secure spybot S&D and Regmechanic.

We see no place in this statement where you said you got professional help in removing the infections.

The error message you gave can be caused by several reason..
bad memory
bad driver
corrupt device
virus
failing hd

We have to start from somewhere and the most logical is to make sure that there is no residual left over form the infection.
If this is not the course of action that you want to pursue then we can move on to the next step which would be to start checking the hardware. This would be the next step since you can't boot into windows yet.
Please let us know how you would like to proceed so that we are all on the same line of thinking.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am going to use these anti virus scanner things. And then see what comes up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I used all the tools listed in order and finally did the rootrepeal.
http://www.geekstogo...er-t257180.html

No responses yet. But if I had to guess I would say none of the stuff in that log is dangurous. It all looks like F-secure stuff.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well we won't go making you do any guesswork, one of the experts will review it, perhaps ask for some other logs just to be sure.

When you say you spent $345 on it, did you pay a Tech or shop to clean out the viruses?

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I spent the money on software like F-secure and Registry mechanic and similer products. At this point I have removed everything that my tools and your tools can detect. All that is left is the rootrepeal.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Registry Mechanic and any other registry cleaner program GTG does not advise to use.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
ok so what do we do now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok you have had no response in 5 days so now post a new topic HERE in the Waiting Room.
Make sure to post a link to your original topic in the malware forum.
This will get you help faster.