Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot.ini missing and Strange RAID problem

• Please log in to reply

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
well even after putting it in that forum it still has no replies alot of veiws though..

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sorry for the delay, they are very busy in the malware forum. However be patient and you will be looked into shortly.

Cheers

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
The maleware people say there is no problem with the logs and infos I have provided...

So what is the next course of action if at least the people here have ruled out maleware as a factor.

Also Hard Drive failure is unlikly given the newness and extreamly high quality of treatment and handleing of the drives themselves.

Also keep in mind only 1 portion of the zalgo virus is detectable and thats called alureon. and it took microsoft forever to come out with that and none of the tools provided here detected it until they were updated after MS found it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You will need to specify to install RAID drivers when you are booting up with the disc by pressing F6 when it asks. You will need the floppy with the RAID drivers ready to go and then select the correct RAID driver when prompted.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
What are you talking about?

did I miss something what disk?
My raid drivers are or at least should be installed because I at no point uninstalled them.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
The techs lack of familiarity with SATA drives scares me. Now he is telling me to uninstall stuff. Regarduless I have no maleware acording to that department..

So what is the next step you guys would take..

My guess is on the drivers being the issue i Need to know how to update or repair the drivers I have for my raid configuration

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Who is the tech telling you to uninstall stuff? Who is not familiar with SATA drives?

Okay, for some reason I thought you were reinstalling or repairing your Windows installation on the RAID setup. I've just fully re-read through your original post and you now have the drives set as IDE, is that correct? To fix it, you will need to configure the drives in RAID mode and rebuild the RAID 1 array. I am not sure what controller you are using so you would need to consult the manual on how to do this (if it is possible once the array has been lost by reconfiguring the drives as IDE - if it's not possible then see below). Once you have rebuilt the array, run a repair install with your Windows disc and specify the RAID drivers, this will fix up the drivers not loading properly.

As far as my experience goes if the above doesn't work, you would need to completely backup all your data off the drives, then format and setup your hard drives again in a RAID 1 configuration. From there you can reinstall Windows and then load your data and programs back on. This is because as the configuration has been changed from RAID to IDE it has lost its status to be able to be rebuilt as RAID again.

Let me know if this makes sense and if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Troy

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Here is the problem man..

1 I do not have a windows disk or any clue what drivers I would need to put in my non existent floppy drive.

2. When my computer worked in the past I could easily switch from RAID to IDE in bios with no harm to anything and when I was done useing the second drive as extra space I would go into BIOS and set SATA back to RAID and then my second drive would show as degraded and all I needed to do was right click martix storage maneger and click rebuild.

However after this virus got me I have been unable to Boot to windows when I set my SATA to raid (it was already in RAID and perfectly working right up until virus)... Setting SATA to IDE was the only way I was able to get into my pc in the first place after this infection happened. So if there is a way I can provide you with the actual type of RAID setup I am useing I think that would help you in your ability to find the problem.

My reasoning tells me that one of 2 things is possible

Malicious code that the maleware tech missed (I noticed a number of things in the logs that would cause a raised eyeberows, despite the tech saying i was clean)

or

Driver courrption

Edited by Voland, 19 November 2009 - 10:48 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
RAID is RAID, whether you are using IDE drives or SATA drives is irrelevant. You can reconfigure IDE drives setup in RAID like you have been doing as well as it is the RAID that will permit the reconfiguration, not the use of SATA or IDE hard drives. It is simply a connection difference and the fact SATA is able to support both faster speeds and also hot-plug on some systems configured the correct way (AHCI).

Also I agree 100% with kahdah when he said the following quote:

Raid isn't meant to be done like that typically you install a raid set when you install Windows and leave it.

If you need more storage space grab another drive, whether it's internal or external, or upgrade your hard drives to a larger size. This is recommended for the very reason that you are experiencing now, that it is unable to be rebuilt. It sounds like whatever virus you had on your system has damaged your drivers, I would recommend doing a repair install to fix it. I will help with this soon, however you can start now by preparing - you will need both a floppy drive (and disk), and the Windows XP installation disc that should have come with your system.

I did not realise the malware topic has not been closed. Please continue with the malware topic and finish up with the final responses kahdah has instructed for you to complete the topic. Until then I am not permitted to assist in this topic.

One final note, if you have issues with entries in the logs that you feel have been overlooked, please kindly ask kahdah in the virus topic you have before it is completed. I'm sure he will be happy to explain what the entries are and why they were not removed. kahdah is very good at virus removal, as you can tell from the fact he is a moderator and teacher to students at our GeekU malware removal university.

Troy

youserbase

youserbase

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If the system currently boots at all, make a full backup of all your data immediately and then head on over to the malware forum to completely get rid of those viruses first.

Advertisements

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
ok....

Well my computer was built and did not come with a floppy drive or a windows disk.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Then you will need to get both a floppy drive and the Windows installation disc to be able to repair your machine further if you want to get it back into RAID.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am able to boot off of jump drives that use USB...

Will that work..

Also let it be noted that I have tried windows recovery console to restore my missing boot.ini and it never worked it would say it did not find a windows instalation if I had my drives in raid but if I had them in IDE or AHCI it would say that it found win xp pro and when I tried to rebuild the boot.ini it would say windows was courrupt.

The tech at my school say that windows recovery consol rarely works with the latest drivers and hardware and gave me MSDART... which I used on my C drive to check for broken windows files.. it found 1... and fixed it and thats how I got my computer to boot again.

I am just saying if there is a better way then recovery consol which if your not carfull reformates then let me know.. I will procede with what you think is best.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The reason it cannot find the RAID is because you need to specify and load the drivers upon bootup of the recovery console or installation disc. Unfortunately for you, Windows XP only supports loading these drivers from a floppy drive. Vista and 7 allow you to swap the CD or DVD around, or plug in a USB drive to select the RAID drivers.

I believe the best way to complete this would be to run a repair install by setting the drives to RAID, rebuilding the array and then booting off a Windows XP installation disc, loading your RAID drives, and then repairing the installation.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
How do I get a window instalation disk if My computer never came with one..

Also the company that built my computer went bankrupt, soo I can ask them for help.

Also repair install unless your very carfull reformats and does alot of stuff. I have a guide for "non-destructive repair useing windows recovery console" but it requires me to know what my windows Key is.. Which is something I don't have due to me not having a CD.

Alternativly is there any other means you can see that I would be able to use to make my second drive an exact mirror? Like is there software that can acomplish this? So that lets say I use said software one then if my main drive fails I can just swap to the second one and only be a week behind..