Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not experienced enough to know if all of these parts are compatible

• Please log in to reply

jasont8902

jasont8902

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is a first build for me, and I'm extremely excited for it. I've researched a bit, but I'm still not sure if all of the components I am purchasing are compatible with one another, or if i could build a more efficient machine for less money. I'll be using the computer for gaming and 3-d modeling and such for my engineering major. Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I need the help.

Case:
COOLER MASTER NV 690 NV-690C-KWN2-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $99

Video card:
ZOTAC ZT-X26E3KD-FCP GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $185

PSU:
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - $140

Hard drive & soundcard:
Salvaged from previous computer, 320gig hard drive and audigy soundblaster soundcard

Thermal Compund:
Arctic silver 5

RAM:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - $205

Motherboard:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - $290

Processor:
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - $280

And since I'd like to try it for myself,

Liquid cooling system:
GIGABYTE GH-WIU02 3D Galaxy II Liquid Cooling - $125

Which all comes to a grand total of $1,362.91. as I'm a novice, I'm not totally sure that I'm paying the right amount for the right components, and a nudge in the right direction or a thumbs up would make this a lot easier on me. Thanks!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Case... get a CM HAF 922 or 932 instead. (932 is very nice for water cooling)
Video card; make it a 4870. Same performance for less money.
You don't need a 850TX, a 650TX is fine.
Don't forget a DVD drive too, your HDD and soundcard look good.
Processor... the i7 860 performs better and the mobo and RAM will be cheaper. You need another mobo (socket 1156) and dual channel RAM for the i7 860.

Are you sure that the Gigabyte cooling system is good?
I suggest getting your parts from Danger Den: http://www.dangerden.com/

jasont8902

jasont8902

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice!

Im kind of confused what you mean by the video card: I can't seem to find one.

Also, switched the mobo to ASUS P7P55D Deluxe LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard, im looking for some RAM atm, you don't think 8gb would be too much, eh?

Also, why the case switch? Just curious.

I was using the gig watercooling system because all of it's reviews say it's a good learner kit. I figure as soon as i get it down toa science, then i can put together a nicer one

Edited by jasont8902, 21 October 2009 - 06:19 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The HAF 932 is a very large case with plenty of room for 3 fan radiators or even multiple loops. When upgrading your WC setup, you will like the flexibility this case offers.
I like the ASUS P7P55D... if you need 8gb then that would be really nice.
4870: http://www.newegg.co.......amp;x=0&y=0
If you need really good graphical power for a good price, look at the 5850 and 5870 (the fastest single GPU on the market).

I just looked at the Gigabyte cooling system... it is neat for the price. You can add a GPU warerblock to the loop if desired but you might need to add a 2 fan radiator to expel all the extra heat from a GPU.
Also get some UV cold cathodes to light up your tubing when installed.

jasont8902

jasont8902

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Seems to me like you just saved me around $300 for the same performance as i was getting with the first build, that wins you a point, haha

Thanks for the help. =]

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
:)
I would suggest you to post on another forum about your watercooling system and see what they think of it. I don't have much experience so I don't know much.
Ill link you here: http://forums.extrem...ad.php?t=282232